trente-six

★ 。\|/。★

𝗕𝗘𝗟𝗟𝗘

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖎𝖙𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖊-𝖈𝖎𝖓𝖖:SNAKE MEN BOARDTHE ARGO II

SNAKE MEN BOARD
THE ARGO II

★ 。/|\。★

NOW, BELLE HAD learned that as a Demigod, she always had to be ready for surprises. That's why she wasn't shocked when snake people arrived.

They had just docked at the harbor in Piraeus which was on the outskirts of Athens. After months, they had finally reached their final destination. Somewhere out there — past the rows of cruise ships and hills crowded with buildings — was the Acropolis. One way or another, this was the last day of their journey. Belle found it kind of bittersweet. Sure, they had gone through some terrible stuff on the Argo II. Annabeth's solo quest, Belle and Percy falling into Tartarus, the ship being attacked endlessly . . . but the eight Demigods of the Great Prophecy had formed such a tight-knit bond. It was strange how they wouldn't all be living on the same ship after today.

While Piper was on watch, the rest of the crew geared up in preparation for combat. Everyone else checked their armor and weapons and loaded the catapults and ballistae. Meanwhile, Belle made sure everything on her was settled. Wearing jeans so that Sunflower's keychain could easily clip onto her belt loops? Check. Hair tied back in tight French braids (courtesy of Piper) so her hair was out of her face? Check. Extra seeds in her pockets just in case? Check.

"Um . . . Annabeth? Belle?" Piper suddenly called.

Belle turned to the girl. Her eyebrows knit in concern as she walked up to Piper, Annabeth and Percy trailing behind her. Belle placed her hands on the rail as she watched snake guys slither along the docks. They winded through crowds of mortal tourists that paid them no attention.

"Oh, great," Percy commented. "Dracaenae."

Annabeth narrowed her eyes in thought. "I don't think so. At least not like any I've seen. Dracaenae have two serpent trunks for legs. These guys just have one."

"And they look more human on top," Belle added. "Should we try to talk to them or fight?"

Nobody answered her. Belle stared down at the snake men as they continued to approach them. The one in the lead had his head held high, which helped Belle to see his chiseled bronze face, black eyes, and glistening curly hair. He wore nothing except a Greek chlamys — a white wool cloak loosely wrapped and pinned at the shoulder — over his upper body that rippled with muscles. From the waist down his body was a green eight-foot-long serpent trunk. In one hand he carried a staff topped with a glowing green jewel while in the other he carried a silver platter covered with a silver dome. The two others behind him appeared to be guards, since they wore bronze breastplates and elaborate helmets topped with horsehair bristles. Their spears were tipped with green stone points and their oval shields were marked with a large Greek letter K — kappa.