Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The people of Avanes awoke to a chilly spring morning, or at least those who had woken with the sun did. Knowing it would take her all day to reach her desired destination, Countess Sinoe Moneta had been risen by her chambermaid far earlier than sunrise. Leaving from Allister, she had set off early and alone to a city on the other side of the border, to the southern country of Dinas. Traveling east around Lakes Aves and south past the village Fadris, she arrived due south to the principality of Clenpirt just as the sun was reaching the mountains far to the west. Leaving her carriage with the footmen and her luggage with her maid, she stepped through the open door into the main foyer.

Sinoe hadn’t taken two steps off of the entryway rug before she heard his voice, loud and echoing about the stone walls.

“Sinoe, Sinoe my dear friend, you’ve made it at last! I just knew when you didn’t make it before dinner that those horrid Avanian guards had locked you away!” Duke Bromia, ambassador to relations between Dinas and Avanes, hopped merrily down the grand staircase, his right hand skimming the hand rail as his left rested loftily on his rotund stomach, his fingers glistening with dark rubies and garnets. Sinoe walked forward with a soft smile as she offered her hand. Taking her hand with a laugh, Bromia kissed the thin gold ring on her slim fingers before pulling the Countess into a hug.

Breaking the hug with a smile, Sinoe said, “I’m afraid locking me up for treason would be too much of a hassle for our monarch. If he puts me away, it’s only a matter of time before our dear friend the Duchess is locked up. Dear Naira has been so hot-headed as of late- I’m sure you’ve heard the accusations-” to which Lord Bromia nodded enthusiastically, looking absolutely horrified, “-and following Naira, the entire country would have to be dealt with. It’s becoming jarringly obvious that our King is falling out of graces with his people.” Sinoe stepped towards the parlor off to the right of the foyer, Bromia quickly offering the old woman his arm. “Also, my friend, I must confide in you. I am quite certain I’m being watched. I had thought it an act of my paranoia until a few months ago when my grandson- you remember Dane- mentioned to me that he had seen suspicious people in the crowds and around our manor. I’m truly surprised I was able to get away with such little interference.”

Bromia plopped into the armchair opposite that which Sinoe had gingerly sat on, his face agape in shock. “Well, have no fear, my dear! They have no legal action across our borders!” His chest puffed up gallantly, his brow furrowed as he leaned back into his chair. “But do you think you’ll be alright whence you cross back into Allister?” he asked quietly. Sinoe nodded with pursed lips.

 “I fear that Harkens may suspect. My sources tell me that Brig was dispatched two weeks ago, along with a company of five men, heading towards the border.” Her gray gaze dropped to her knees. “And then, I received word that Bekkron and his men had left the castle just two days ago. They seemed to be headed in the same direction..”

Bromia’s chubby red cheeks paled. Fumbling in his vest pocket for a kerchief with fingers that shook, he mumbled, “There is no hope, then, Countess. What difference can any of us make against a Gods forsaken machine like Bekkron?”

The Countess raised thin brows as she sat up straighter, a wry smile hinting at her lips. “No hope? I‘d certainly say you‘ve changed, Bromia. I believe that you were the first of our merry group to volunteer your life in return for the Princess‘s.” She eyed him knowingly.

The Duke scoffed, patting the corners of his mouth with the kerchief. “Yes, well that was a lifetime ago. Besides, I have matters to concern myself with. A family, my son..” he trailed off. “I‘ve assumed that our young friend is still refusing to return home. And you‘ve had no luck in tracking him down. Though, I suppose that makes sense, and offers me no more reason to throw down my life needlessly. Avanes is not his home any longer, and it is certainly not and has never been mine. It is not my place to wage war against your King. No matter how much I once loved its royal family.”