Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The King of Avanes was not in a good mood. King Caleb sat slouched on his throne in the state room of Avanes Castle, leaning on his elbow and drumming his fingers on the rest in impatience at the wasted time of his day called “holding court”. In the high backed chair to his left, his tutor Sanat listened patiently and serenely to the proceedings, keeping a close eye on the monarch with quick glances. It wouldn‘t do for the King to know he was being watched, but as one speaker switched to another Sanat shot the young king a critical look, which the sullen boy pretended to ignore. When yet another minister stood to address the King, elderly Sanat turned his head to his charge and leaned in to whisper, “Your Majesty, it would be in your best interest to give some attention to the important men of your council, as the matters they bring you are directly tied to the well-being of your kingdom.” The boy turned his head sharply. Sanat cringed under the piercing stone grey eyes of the sixteen-year-old King, settling back into place on his chair.

“Why should I? Lord Harkens handles these ridiculous matters. Not me.”

Sanat gazed across the hall to where the Prime Minister, Harkens, sat at the head of the council‘s table. Whenever he was in the presence of the King and his most powerful minister, Sanat could never shake the feeling of unease. The amount of influence Harkens held over the boy and his mother, the dowager Queen, was terrifying and growing still, as noted by the slow dwindle of representatives from surrounding nobles and neighboring kingdoms. From the many letters he had received weekly from her, Queen Clara of Lemuria and her husband King Coronis seemed most dissatisfied with the horrendous neglect and blatant disrespect the King served them. Duke Bromia of Dinas had also written that his King was also scoffed on matters of trade. From Borea, a dukedom southwest of The Royal City,  Duchess Naira, in her unthinking recklessness, had spurned the King altogether by neither attending nor sending a representative to the council meeting.

Other principalities and their villages of Avanes had been growing more and more restless with their home’s present situation. Caleb had so far disrespected every noble family in the country and those surrounding by never attending their functions nor offering any apology for his absence. As well, he never threw any gatherings, none for midwinter or summer solstice, and it was this garish lack of attention that had led to Duchess Naira’s absence at the meeting.

Her hold on her title and lands had become shaky since she openly displayed her hatred of the new Avanes at the conclusion of a civil war sixteen years ago, and she was even less content with the crowning of the Queen’s week old son in accordance to King Balder’s wishes. The citizens, the majority of Avanes’s upper and middle classes, had been considerably patient in waiting for gentility and respect from their new King. However, as years turned into a decade, they grew restless and followed in suit of their fuming Duchess. It seemed to be only a matter of months before other principalities followed suit.

If King Caleb continued to show ignorant insolence, he would find himself face to face with war. 

---*

“What does James have against Pelinland?” Collin asked Maria. The group had stopped to make camp for the night in a small grove right off the main road leading through the wooded mountains of Aigne. Mark had gone off for food and water while James wondered nearby collecting firewood visible to their site. Collin, feeling the need to help in some way, readied a pit for the fire and set up their bags to sleep.

The pixie shrugged, kicking at the rocky pit with her slippered foot. “He likes Pelinland itself well enough. It’s more that he has a problem with the people that inhabit that land. The people are a troupe of very proud and close-knit gypsies. Even though he grew up there, let’s just say he isn’t exactly their cup of tea. You’ll see when we get there.” Maria narrowed her eyes at the blonde boy. “So, Collin, what is your story? What brought you all the way out to these horrible mountains?”