| Chapter 50 | Emancipation

Raoul knocks on the door, though it's wide open. As Rina turns around, he steps over the threshold and walks towards her.

"Feeling better?"

"Better than yesterday. And the days before." He replies with a light groan as he moves his shoulders back and forth.

They've been silent for about month now. Nothing bad has happened yet, but it's only a matter of time until something will. The two Vanderwoods can't help worrying about what would happen next. Their father has left them, also taking a large sum of money from their bank. According to Rina, he was kidnapped.

Not that they care.

"That's good." Rina gives a weak smile, turning back out the balcony. She spots Orson and Cina talking in the courtyard with Sir Stanton. Giving a quiet sigh, she ponders and rests her elbows on the stone railing.

If only this would last forever. A life without worries. But that all know it wouldn't.

"Have the servants left?"

"Yes, only Sir Stanton and a few of the guards and servants are left." Raoul replies." They should be out by the end of the week."

Rina bites her lip, once again sighing deeply.

"I can't believe it. We're really not going to make it.." she mutters. Raoul shakes his head." We still have the estate. We have all the utilities we need here. What are the absence of servants and guards going to do?"

He has a point, but in terms of their rank, they're basically stripped from that. They aren't even sure if Raoul is allowed to take over as head of the household. They've sent a letter to the palace to recognize the request but it's been ignored for weeks now.

If they could somehow get Raoul to be head of the household, they can use their rank as a stepping stone for something. They could even gain access of their bank which their father cherished so much.

Not that Rina knew it wouldn't work, but even the royal court is on the king's side. Of course they would deny such a request.

"Yes, but.. ha.." she groans, burying her head in her arms. Even with the power she has, she still can't fight for herself. Not to mention she still has to fight in a war she doesn't even want to happen, but things keep getting in the way.

Her condescending thoughts get cut off when she hears a knock at her door.

"Come in.."

The door opens to reveal Lucian, who looks well rested than he did last night. His expression seems confused and worried, enticing the two Vanderwood's curiosity.

"What is it?" She asks.

"There's a strange girl near at the gate. Should we let her in?"

"A strange girl.."

"She said her name is Carli Blankley."

'By god. Really? Her? Here? How the hell does she know where I live..?'

Shaking off her thoughts, she focuses on the fact that she hasn't seen that girl in a while. Rina decides not to worry about that at the moment and would rather face the bright side of things.

"Right.." she mumbles, walking past the two. She ought to meet this troublesome girl herself. But she worries over the fact that she found her estate without knowing much about her. It's a bit creepy, but maybe it'll be helpful.

Or maybe she simply overthinking and the young girl just asked around.

Yes, maybe that's it.

As she walks down the foyer, the doors burst open to reveal that new young knight Stanton had taken in. She recalls her name to be.. Peter?