𝓣𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮 ➳ I don't want it! Please take it back!

Start from the beginning

I patted my stomach with mirth, hunger completely satiated. After a moment's rest, Celsia readied me for the day as he dressed me in a sky blue dress with flower embroideries that ended just right above my ankles. She then kept my hair in a braid with a navy blue ribbon.

After putting on the navy blue doll shoes, we left for my father's study. I knocked on the wooden door twice before announcing my presence. Hearing my father's permission, I opened the door wide and went inside the room.

"Good afternoon, Dad. I'd like to talk to you about something." My father stood up from his seat and walked towards the couch, settling down on it. I followed suit and sat down beside him. He gave me a soft smile. "What is it, Alyn?"

I took in a deep breath before staring straight at my father's vibrant golden orbs. "It's about the engagement." My father's face suddenly brightened up, grinning from ear to ear. "Oh. You must have been very surprised." I nodded my head. I'm indeed surprised, but it was certainly not in a good way!

His already wide grin turned brighter as he patted my head gently. "You do not need to thank me, it's my gift for your birthday after all!" My eyes narrowed as my lips drew into a thin line.

"I'm grateful for the thought, Dad, but..." His brows drew together, a glint of curiosity flashing through his eyes. I don't like it! Not at all! So please take it back! "But what, Alyn?"

"I don't want to be engaged to His Highness the Crown Prince." A look of surprise painted on his face before tugging his lips downwards. "What? Why? You were begging me to form an engagement with his highness before, so why the sudden change of heart?"

What? "Since when did I beg for it, Dad?" I searched for Amarizi's memories, only to end up with nothing. My father's frown deepened. "You don't remember? You even clung to his highness' side all the time when you were 5 years old."

Five? How am I supposed to remember such a distant memory?! Especially when I have such a shitty memory in the first place, damn it! "You even ran and beg his majesty for it."

For Pete's sake, Amarizi! What the heck are you doing at 5 years old?! I pursed my lips as I stared at my father pleadingly. "Can't you cancel it for me, Dad?" A defeated sigh escaped his lips. "You really don't want it?"

I nodded my head eagerly, a smile blooming out of my lips as hope surged through my heart. A troubled look flashed through his face as he ran a hand through his hair. "Alyn," He called out, brows tightly knitted together, forming creases in between. "I will cancel the engagement right away if that's what you wish, but..."

A sense of dread filled my heart as I tightly clenched a part of my dress in my hands. "The King has officially approved and appointed you as the princess consort so it might be difficult to dissolve the engagement. There's also a high possibility that the King might not be in favor with your decision. It might take a really long time before it can be done. Can you wait for it by then?"

I clicked my tongue silently. If it's just a couple of months or a year, then I won't mind. "How long are we talking about, Dad?" He placed a hand under his chin, his fingers caressing it. "Maybe it will take about more or less 3 years."

"What? 3 years?" My face went pallid, eyes widening. "Dad, why is it so long? Can't it be done any faster?" He shook his head with a grim expression. "I'm sorry, Alyn, but that's the fastest time I could promise. We can't also disregard the possibility that the King might not even let you break off the engagement as long as there is no replacement."

If that happens...then I'll have to wait for that bastard to go all mushy mushy with the heroine?! HELL NO! Colorful words sprang out under my breath.

Argh! I guess I'll have no choice but to directly talk about this matter to the King. Now, how should I approach the King about this? A knock on the door snapped me out of my daze as Wallace's voice sounded out from the other side of the door.

Father told him to come in, both of our gazes fixed on the door. The door opened wide as Wallace entered the room with a small silver tray containing a single letter. "A messenger from His Majesty, the King has delivered an urgent letter that is addressed to Your Grace."

Wallace strode towards us and placed the silver tray on top of the table. Father picked up the letter with the seal of the royal family and opened it, reading the contents of the letter. He glanced at me, making me quirk an eyebrow up, before glancing back at his aide. "Tell the messenger that we're coming."

He returned his gaze back to me and stroked my head. "Go prepare yourself, Alyn. We're going to the royal palace." My eyes shot up before a small smile made its way on my lips.

I guess I no longer have to worry about approaching the King.