Chapter 14

Milabeth's POV

Bumaba agad ako ng parking lot. I need to head back to the hospital at 10:30PM. Ano kaya yung ibig sabihin ni kuya sa 'situation' sa bahay. Kinakabahan ako.

"Kailan ba naging traffic dito?" Sabi ko sabay hampas sa steering wheel ng sasakyan.

Minsan kasi kahit traffic pag masaya ka or you are simply inspired and not thinking or worrying about anything, everything goes smoothly, pero pag nagmamadali ka or you are worried about something, you become impatient.

We want to control everything though we don't have the authority to do so. We do thing's we don't even understand when we are angry, frustrated, flustered, anxious and all.

Habang naghihintay ako ng red light I saw a billboard and it says, "Everything will be alright.".

Will it really be alright? That line's too cliché. People keep on telling you that line, though everything's clearly fucked up.

When the light hit red, agad akong umarangkada. I didn't know what's happening there, but it feels odd. I am nervous for an unknown reason. And my hunch was always 95% accurate. Forget about the 5%, they are those times when I say, it won't rain and I ended up going home soaked.

I arrived at our subdivision. It was quiet. When I pulled over in front of our house, I saw our main door open. Agad akong pumasok, but no one was there. I went out and searched around. I saw the light from Lucius' house was on.

"Umuwi ba si Mang Seldo?" I asked as if someone would answer that for me.

I walked towards the house at nakita ko si kuya na nakaupo sa step sa harap ng bahay.

"Kuya. What happened? Where's mom? At bakit kayo narito."

Tanong ko kay kuya while I roam my eyes around. But something caught my attention - Lucius' car, it's here.

"Kuya, don't tell me - . No. They didn't saw each other right?"

He didn't answered. Pumasok ako sa loob. I saw broken glass everywhere. Even the paintings that he adored so well were torn.

"Why did you do that!" It wasn't a question but a scream from Lucius.

"I am so sorry. My daughter was at the operating room as well that time." I heard my mom sobbing.

"You should have asked someone to do the surgery instead. Why are you so pushy when you can't even do it properly?"

"That was not a simple surgery Luci, that was a transplant. And I am the only cardio that time that can perform that type of surgery. We requested for a hospital transfer for you, but that was denied by your own parents, kasi sabi nila, they trust me. And that you might fall into cardiac arrest and ended up dying bago ka makarating sa ibang ospital - " My mom paused.

"but I broke their trust." Her voice broke.

"I am too occupied with what's happening to my daughter that I forgot my duty and the oath I took. I never knew that you met Milabeth again. Or that your memories are back."

"Why is it that you still have your license with you?"

Plain na tanong ni Lucius.

"I should have lost it, alam ko. But there was this girl and she's about your age. She had strong connections everywhere. Business, politics, showbiz, everywhere. She made an offer to us. I didn't even know why she was there at that time. Pero sabi niya, we need to stay out of your life, ako at si Milabeth."

Brie? Hindi yung parents ni Lucius, pero si Brie. Siya ang may pasimuno nito? But why? She's a real sucker.

"Your parents forgave me. They don't even have any plans of having me sued. Kasi pagnawalan ako ng license, who will feed and send my kids to school. But that girl was eager and she even threatened your dad's business."