Chapter 3

Lucius' POV

I once read from a book that beauty is found when eyes meet. But when my eyes met Doctor Villareal’s, I was certain that it isn’t beauty I found but tattered nostalgic feels. There is this feeling of longing, love and pain. Nakita ko kung paano siya nalingat when our eyes met and so do I.

“Doctor Villareal? Doctor Villareal? Are you okay?” The OR nurse shook her back to reality.

“My apologies. Vitals?” She responded quickly to the situation

“Pulse: 110, Blood Pressure: 90/60. His BP is starting to drop Doc. We need to continue the surgery as soon as possible.” Said the OR nurse.

Kahit ako ay nataranta. Pero may tiwala ako sa kaniya. I know she’s competent enough. Naalala ko ang surgeon ko dati, kung gaano siya ka careless.

“It was a successful operation. Good job everyone.” Rinig kong sabi niya.

She did it. I can’t help but to smile knowing how competent she really is.

“She’ll get the scolding she deserve. Binigyan niya ako ng mini-heart attack.” Said our chief surgeon while pulling out his phone. Narinig ko na magkikita sila sa conference room.

“Doctor Santos, you might want to give her an earful as well.” He invited me.

“Susunod nalang po ako, I’ll just drop by somewhere.” Yung totoo, pupuntahan ko yung family ng patient. For sure Doctor Villareal forgot to inform them that the surgery went well. She was too occupied tho.

“Kayo po ba ang pamilya ni Francis Mendres?” I ask the woman who is waiting outside the OR.

“Opo. Ako po yung ina niya. Kamusta po yung operation Doc?” She asked teary-eyed.

“You’re son is at stable condition already Mrs. Mendres. The nurses are preparing his transfer sa kanyang room. You can wait for him there.” I told her.

“Maraming salamat po Doc.” She grabbed my hands and thanked me. Hindi ko na naclarify sa kaniya na hindi ako ang attending surgeon ng anak niya. She was in a hurry to see his son.

I was walking towards the conference room when something came into my mind. She’s tired, exhausted perhaps after performing the surgery tapos ngayon mapupuno pa yung tenga niya ng mga sasabihin ng chief cardiologist. Dalhan ko kaya siya ng tubig?

Plain naman. Ang boring mo. My subconscious reminded me.

Soda kaya?

Hindi yun healthy. Bad ka.

Coffee na nga lang.

Alam mo ikaw –

“Cut it - ” Hindi o natapos ang sasabihin ko when I saw everyone on the cafeteria staring at me.

“My apologies.” I mouthed to them. I grabbed a cup of cappuccino and headed to the conference room.

“Please do well on your next surgery. Don’t prove to us that you will never make the same mistake, just do your job properly or you’re going to lose it.”

Chief Dan wasn’t pleased of what happened to the OR. I know him, the last thing he wants to happen is having a cardiologist in trouble.

I diverted my attention to Doctor Villareal nung lumabas si Chief Dan. She’s uttering something while wiping her tears. Bigla naman siyang ngumiti. She’s creepy.

“Coffee?” I purposely extended my hand in front of her face para Makita niya yung dala kong coffee. She turned towards me.

“Salamat.” She mouthed at umupo naman ako sa tabi niya.

“Alam mo ba kung bakit ako naging cardio?” I asked him out of nowhere. Pero hindi naman siya nabigla.

“Hindi.” Tipid niyang sagot.

“I had undergone a surgery when I was 18, heart transplant.” Nakikinig siya ng maigi kaya I was motivated to talk more. I just want her to feel better while encouraging her.

“I can’t exactly remember anything that had happened for 18 years. Para akong newborn baby after the surgery.” I let out a small laugh. I wasn’t looking at her pero alam kong nakatitig siya sa akin, her face longing.

Who am I to you, Doctor Villareal?

“That happened because of the cardiologist that performed the transplant for me. May ginalaw siya na hindi dapat resulting my memory loss. I never knew that surgeon’s name or gender because I might resent him or her. My parents got furious, they kept everything from me. Pinalabas nila na I lost my memories due to an accident. But I began to question the scar on my chest. Sabihin nalang natin na, they’re not good at keeping secrets -” I took a breather And continued.

“I became a cardiologist because I don’t want people especially with a very sensitive illness like heart failures suffer like I did. I want to show that surgeon how surgery should be done. And I might get a chance na ma meet siya sa field na to.” I turned to face her.

“Why are you suddenly talking about your life to me?” She asked by wearing the most curious face there is.

“I just want you to know kung ano ang maaaring mangyari sa pasyente mo pag hindi ka nakafocus sa ginagawa mo. You are very much better than what you did earlier Doctor Villareal. I saw how you responded when the patient’s blood pressure dropped but hindi sa lahat ng oras sapat ang pagiging mabilis mo.” I said looking her straight into her eyes. Damn that smile.

“Brie. What about Brie? How did you remember her?” She spit out of nowhere. That was unexpected.

“I don’t exactly remember her. Ang alam ko lang, she was there when I woke up at the hospital. From then, I just kept on believing everything she said about our relationship.” I said looking away. But – why is it that she sounded suspicious and that she knows something.

“D-d-do you really know something, Doctor Villareal?” I turned immediately towards her direction and looked at her suspiciously.

“Who am I to y – no, who are you to me?” Dagdag ko. I am so confused right now. I got so many suspicions.

Simula ng makilala ko si Doctor Villareal, I became thirsty of my past, it feels like she was somewhat involve there.

“W-what do you mean Dr. Santos? I-I-I was only asking out of confusion. Please don’t get me wrong.” She said shaking her head and smiling.
She’s probably right, I wronged her. I got swayed by my emotions and gut.

“I’m sorry. I was just – I don’t know. Please enjoy your coffee. I’ll go ahead.” Sabi ko sa kaniya and started to walk away. I don’t know how to explain myself. Hindi ko alam kung saan magsisimula.

“Ah, by the way, good job on your first surgery. You should go visit him, gising na siguro yun.” Lumingon ako sa kaniya at sinabi iyon at tumango naman siya.

What I feel for her isn’t foreign but I can’t really tell what it is. I was about to head at the lounge to get some water when I had a call from the ward nurse.

“Sir, patient Paulo Santiago room #32 is having a seizure right now and it looks bad.”

“Try to stabilize his vitals, I’m on my way.”

Dali-dali akong tumakbo papunta sa kwarto ng pasyente. He isn’t really in good shape this past few days kaya di siya maka undergo ng surgery. When I arrived at his room, he already had calmed down from his seizure but his blood pressure keeps on increasing.

“Give him 80mg of Lopressor and prepare him for surgery.”

“Yes Sir. But wouldn’t it be risky Sir?”

“Yes, it will be. Pero pag hindi natin to gagawin ngayon, it will be more risky.”

“Yes Sir.”

I immediately informed his family and explained to them kung ano ba talaga yung nangyayari and they agreed with me.

“You’re his doctor after all. We trust you.” Said his father. And memories of me waking up 8 years ago, remembering nothing, clouded on my head.