The Faith of Barack Obama

Author: Stephen Mansfield 

Publication Date: 2008

At first I wasn't sure about this. I always thought Obama a personable leader; I never had any reason to dislike him when in office. But then, I never used to concern myself with politics. These days, given my conservative stance, I not only am more wary of Democrats in general but especially after their graceless handling of Trump's rise to power, I mostly consider myself not a fan of the cultural Prince Charming that is this former President.

Much like Clinton's excellent Hard Choices, I thought it might be rewarding to give the man a chance and read something that painted him in a positive light - I mean, cause such things are so hard to find, you know.  Anyway, this obviously wasn't written by Obama and, surprisingly, the writer (a Christian) calls the running candidate out for his various inconsistencies as a self-alleged man of God. Previous decisions with policy regarding abortion were looked at especially, and it is disturbing. He pretty much voted in favour of born infants being left to die if they survived their attempted abortions.  I guess the crying, human-shaped thing on the table still doesn't count as a living person because the mother has decided she doesn't want it.  

Concerning modern American liberalism, it is reasonable to assume the faith of its delegates is always going to be questionable when held up against their personal/political ideals. Given how reactionary people are, especially on the left, you can't entirely blame the Clintons and Obamas of our world for being churchgoers yet also being openly pro-gay-marriage and abortion and such other things traditional perspectives are increasingly vilified over.

Besides these points of criticism, however, the book does offer much good insight into Obama's rich and pluralistic religious upbringing. With a Muslim stepfather, an atheist mother who respected religion from an anthropological perspective, and an affinity with the black Christian community (led by controversial, apparently white-hating Jeremiah Wright), it is predictable that many right-wing pundits spun the misconception that Obama was to be America's first Muslim president.

With The Faith of Barack Obama, Stephen Mansfield takes a surprisingly balanced look at the pros and cons of the man's Christian integrity, pointing out his flaws and inconsistencies, addressing attacks both right and wrong about his claim to faith. Ultimately, however, this book heralds Obama (albeit naively) as the new face of American Christianity, bringing faith back into the political spectrum and the secular Left with a more colourful and accessible Liberal packaging. Funnily enough, it was a fitting follow-up to another book I read recently called God's Politics by Jim Wallis, which dealt with the need for injecting the Gospel back into the American Left before the Religious Right entirely high-jacked it.

Ultimately, as good as the intentions of Wallis and Mansfield were (2004 and 2008 respectively), both books - particularly this one - do come across as painfully ironic in 2020.  The mainstream culture of America seems to be more ashamed of its Christian heritage than ever.