Chapter 5

:: Emma’s POV ::

A warm Texas breeze whirled through NRG stadium as the sun hid behind the clouds that loomed over head; Noah and I had come out to see JJ do what he does best, play football. The cheers of the fans filled the air as the announcer introduced our beloved Houston Texans.

“Come here peanut.” I reached out and scooped Noah up.

“Where’s JJ momma?” Noah questioned.

“We gotta look for him babe. He’ll find you, don’t worry.” I kissed Noah’s soft little cheek as his eyes remained fixated on the field.

My eyes scanned the sea of players for JJ, I knew he would be looking for us in the stands, he always did, and I didn’t want to miss him. The guys scrambled across the sideline as they joined the coaching staff and it didn’t take long before I spotted that 99. Or I should say it didn’t take long until Noah spotted him.

“There he is!” Noah shrieked as he pointed out in front of himself, he began waving frantically trying to get JJ’s attention.

I watched as his eyes scanned our section for a brief moment before he spotted us. He formed a heart with his hands as he held it up for us to see and Noah giggled. I couldn’t help but to laugh to myself as the girls a few rows ahead of us let out high pitched screams thinking JJ’s gesture was for them. I blew him a kiss before he returned his focus to the team; I swear sometimes he makes me feel like a giddy little school girl.

“He is really enamored by you.” Megan smiled at me, “I’m so happy for him.”

Megan is the linebacker Brian Cushing’s wife and was as sweet as could be. The last few games JJ had made sure I was seated by her, he was so insistent that the two of us would become the best of friends. After spending time with her I completely understood why he would feel that way, we were so similar in many ways and I really enjoyed her company.

“He’s amazing.” I was sure I was beaming, it was hard not to anytime it came to JJ.

“He is.” Megan nodded in agreement with me, “He’s a sweetheart. We are so glad he found you Emma, truly. He thinks the world of you and Noah.”

I was beyond flattered by Megan’s words and I knew she meant them. JJ was very close with the Cushings and I knew they really looked out for him. Truthfully, I was so glad I found him. So glad we found him, he was so good to us.

As the game got underway we all turned our attention to the field. It was safe to say that the Texans defense dominated the field as usual. I found it so funny to watch JJ, he was so aggressive on the field yet he was the biggest, sweetest teddy bear you could find. His passion for what he does was obvious, he was always so vocal and boisterous; he was always trying to encourage his fellow teammates and always managed to make the fans go crazy.

I cheered as JJ managed to sack the quarterback for the third time, his offensive line failing at their attempts to stop JJ. He was playing one of the best games I had ever seen him play.

“Double digit sacks on the season for Watt, third year in a row!” the announcers voice boomed through the stadium as the fans erupted.

Noah looked at me, wide eyed and so excited and I’m pretty sure I returned the look as we both cheered as loud as we could. I know we were both so proud to call him ours, especially in that moment. We always admired JJ when we used to watch him from the comfort of our couch, but now we admired him in a whole different way. A more personal way.

Noah giggled as he watched JJ’s signature celebratory salute and laughed even more as JJ waved his arms up and down in order to pump up the crowd.