Chapter 4

:: Emma's POV ::

"Emma, delivery!" Tonya announced in a sing song voice as she pulled me away from my thoughts for a brief moment.

I had spent a good portion of my morning working on a display in the back of the shop for new inventory expected to arrive. I was in my zone and the last thing I wanted to do was lose my train of thought to sign for another delivery. I looked at the clock. 11:37am.

"Is it Shawn? Tell him you can sign for it." Shawn was our regular UPS delivery man; he usually graced us with his presence several times a week between 11am and noon.

"It's not Shawn." Tonya found my assumption comical.

I heard her footsteps growing nearer and I was suddenly intrigued about this delivery. I spun on my heel and my eyes widened at the site of Tonya holding a vase full of lush pink peonies, my absolute favorite. I stood for a moment in a state of shock. Peonies were not an easy flower to get through a florist in mid October, let alone any time of the year. Whoever sent these flowers must have gone above and beyond. Above and beyond... for me.

"Where did these come from?" I looked at her, confusion and shock evident in my voice as I took the vase from her hands.

She laughed at me as if it was the dumbest question she had ever been asked, "I don't know. The florist just dropped them off. Said they were for you."

"Didn't you read the card?" Michelle, another employee of mine spoke up as she looked at us over the jewelry she was organizing.

"Girl, that's personal. You don't just go around readin' someone's card." Tonya shot Michelle a death glare.

I knew some of the girls struggled to get along with Michelle due to the drama she usually brought to most situations; however, I personally never had a conflict with her and she was a hard worker, while I was around anyhow. I always tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. I tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt; that was just me.

"Now read the damn card, let us know what it says."

Tonya had us laughing, we were all anxious to see who the sender of these flowers was, including me. I couldn't even tell you the last time I received flowers, gosh, it's been ages; but these flowers certainly surpassed the half wilted, discounted "I'm not really sorry but want you to think I am" grocery store flowers my jerk of an ex used to buy me.

"They've got to be from this mystery man you've been talkin about." Michelle smiled as she left her place sorting jewelry to get a better look.

I pulled the card out of the little envelope and the smile on my face was instantaneous. JJ. I don't know why that wasn't more obvious to me. Maybe because once we shared that moment in the park, we hadn't really spoken much. I knew I shouldn't take it personal, I know how busy he was with the football season but, I'm a girl. It's my job to over think and over analyze things.

"Come on! What's it say?" Tonya pressed.

"Just because it's Wednesday. J." I felt my cheeks growing hotter and I was sure they matched the rich pink color of the flowers before me.

"Shut. Up." Tonya pulled the card out of my hands to read it for herself as if she didn't believe me.

Michelle placed her hand over her heart before she crooned, "Awwww."

"Just because it's Wednesday. J." Tonya reread the card aloud, shaking her head as she looked at me, "Okay girl spill. Who's J and does he have a brother?"

I closed my eyes as I stuck my nose into the peonies and inhaled their sweet scent. They were gorgeous. Beyond gorgeous. They brought me so much happiness when they blossomed in my garden each summer, year after year I was always sad to see them go as their season came to an end. As a little girl I dreamed of carrying a peony bouquet down the aisle to my awaiting "prince", to me they just embodied romance. In my opinion, sending these flowers was quite the statement.