↬ | chapter seven

Start from the beginning

   Each grabbed a hold of one of Charlotte's wrists as they walked— she still wasn't cooperating. "Let me go!"

   "They'll hear you," the older girl informed the child, who was just asking for it at this point. Murphy was shouting, and he could faintly be heard from a distance. Him and his army would be on their trail soon.

   "We're trying to help you," Bellamy argued as him and Maggie fought against her flailing body. "Hey. Hey, we're trying to help you."

   "I'm not your sister! Just stop helping me!" Charlotte hissed, freeing herself from their grips.  Maggie was tempted to go off on her— just hours ago, she was begging for their assistance in getting her out of her own trouble she had caused. "I'm over here!"

   Bellamy sprinted in her direction, lifting the girl off of her feet so she couldn't run away anymore. "Are you trying to get us all killed?"

   "You two— just go, okay? I'm the one they want."

   She wanted to give herself up.

   "Okay, Charlotte. Listen to me," he squatted in front of her, and Magnolia did the same. "We're not leaving you. Are we Mags?"

   For a millisecond, the back of Maggie's mind said yes. This damn child was causing a plethora of inconveniences. Neither of them were obligated to protect her. But she knew better than that. She wasn't heartless— far from it. The furthest. So instead, she pressed her lips into a thin, promising smile and nodded. "Never in a million years."

   "Please," she begged, running away yet another time. The second time around, Bellamy threw the child over his shoulders while she continued to scream. "Aah! Murphy, I'm over here!"

   The two sprinted, one with the child slung over his shoulders as they both shushed her. Maggie glanced behind them, and orange lights were in her peripherals. "Bellamy— can we go faster? I can see Murphy and the others. Zip it!"

   So there they were, zooming past trees like their lives depended on it— only, they did. At least Charlotte's life did. Rain began to fall, and it was even harder due to the fear of slipping on the wet grass and dirt. The child's loud cries were what kept Murphy on their path, and no matter what either of them tried to do, she persisted.

   Maggie saw less and less trees the more they sped forward; however, her quick feet halted when it came to her attention that they were at the edge of a cliff.

   "Damn it!"

   "Don't think we can jump down that one," Magnolia commented, mentally facepalming herself for saying such a thing at a time like this. If Raven were there, the two would've pissed theirselves laughing at the remark, no matter the circumstances.

   "Bellamy!" the voice they were dreading panted, and when the three turned around, there was John Murphy. "You two can't fight all of us. Give her up."

   "Maybe not, but I can guarantee that we'll take a few of you down with us," Bellamy countered, causing a lump in Maggie's throat. Both of them could fight well, but was this child really worth them both dying if Murphy would just kill Charlotte anyway?

   A sudden mop of blonde hair emanated from the trees, and sure enough, Finn was beside her. "Bellamy, Maggie. Stop!" Clarke ran forward. About time they showed up, Gray thought.

   "Murphy," Magnolia sent him cautioning hands, tiptoeing towards him. "You want justice. Killing people is not justice. It's not the answer."

   Was she going to regret that? Undoubtedly so.

   It took only a second for Magnolia to find herself in Murphy's grip, her head resting in the crook of his neck. She leaned forward instinctively to fight back, only to feel the coldness of a blade lightly against her throat.