Chapter Ten

That was the thing about Mikasa, once she choose to always be there for someone, she was.

They ran through the back yard and into the woods behind it. Mika remembered that once Annie had told her she fell down a hill and that's how she got a black eye, and when she was telling the story about her dad and where he made her train was near a hill. If she found that she'd just have to go straight forward. Mikasa knew there was a reason why Annie had explained all this in such great detail, in case anything happened to her.

After a while of running, there was a hill. It wasn't a big hill, small and easy to miss, they could have easy tripped and fallen. They ran past the hill and in the distance Mikasa saw a shed.

"That's it!" Bert said. Mikasa ran faster leaving the two boys behind. She could hear them tell at get to slow down but she didn't listen. She ran past the training area after seeing that no one was there.

Mikasa ran deeper and deeper into the woods. She was beginning to tho k she'd never find Annie. She started thinking about all the bad things that might of happened to her. What if she wasn't here anymore? What of she was dead? What if-Mika was snapped out of those terrible thoughts when something rammed into her. She looked down and saw a frightened blonde headed girl. It was Annie.

At first Annie had no idea who she had ran into. She thought it was one of her dad's friends and tried to get away. "Annie, Annie! It's me, Mikasa!" She wrapped her arms around the shorter girl glad she was okay. She had never seen Annie this upset about anything.

"W-we have to leave!" Annie's voice sounded croaky and like she had been running for a long time. Mikasa knew it would take them a long time to get out of the woods but she had to do it. "Is there anyway out of here quicker than back the way we came?" She asked hoping for a good answer. Annie just shook her head and started pulling Mikasa, trying to get her to run.

"Annie!" A man's voice came from the distance, "Please! I'm sorry!"

Annie began to run, pulling Mikasa with her. It was then she noticed she had a limp. Mikasa wasn't strong enough to carry Annie, but Bert was, and bert and Reiner weren't too far away.

They ran for a while until they reached the training area where Bert and Reiner were waiting for them. "You couldn't have followed me?!" Mikasa practically yelled.

"We knew you'd kick Annie's dad's ass if you saw him, you didn't need us for that." Reiner said.

"I was against it but he said we should stay." Bert took one look at Annie, got the message and picked her up.

"Doesn't matter, Annie is safe and-" she was cut off by the same man's voice. "You three!" He yelled. All three of them were running once again and almost out of energy.

"What are we going to do?" Mika asked, "We'll never make it back to any of our houses. I don't have the energy..." She was really wishing she was more like that Potato Girl at school who could run more than five hours and still be good. It felt like they had been running five hours.

"I actually live in a neighborhood around here." Bert told her, "We'll go there."

'Thank god...' Mikasa thought. She didn't want to go too far.

"Stop! That's my daughter!" Annie's dad yelled again.

Mikasa stopped in her tacks and waited until he was close behind her then spun around just to punch him right in the face. Hard enough to knock him over. After that, she kept running with her group.