Martyr No More

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the art involved in this story, they belong to their respective owners and franchises. All I own is my OC's and nothing else.

Hokage Mansion

Walking through the village, Kakashi along with Raijin and Jurten would arrive at the Hokage mansion. Walking through the various halls they would arrive to the office of the Hokage, once being allowed entry they find that Kurenai, Asuma and Might Guy are already waiting for them. Hiruzen puffs softly from his pipe as a small smile comes to his face at seeing Raijin, as he's considered the young man as like a third son to him. His eyes widen a bit when he finally notices the Inuzuka marking stitched onto his uniform and the ninken pup faithfully sitting beside him, a chuckle escapes his lips before he looks over the formal letter once more.
  "All of you have been brought here because of this letter, this letter is a formal invitation from the Mizukage of the Hidden Mist. She wishes a team of representatives from Konoha to meet with her, so that the tense relations between our villages can be put to rest. I have no doubt that this letter was sent without the knowledge of her council, meaning that they will not know you are coming. That being said, keep an eye out and be mindful of your surroundings, the council may very well have teams out still hunting for Raijin." This comes as no surprise to the Jōnin in the room, the Hokage has told them of Raijin's track record with the Hidden Mist, mainly the number of shinobi he has killed from that village, missing nin or not. Raijin himself attaches his helmet to his belt along with his mask, walking up beside Asuma he makes a gesture to the older man. Kakashi and Guy almost chuckle as Asuma hands Raijin a fresh year pack of cigarettes and a lighter, giving him his own so he doesn't have to borrow. Raijin wastes no time in opening the pack and placing one of the cigarettes in his mouth before lighting it.
"So, avoid enemy contact at all costs?" Hiruzen nods his head at Raijin's question, Kurenai however glares at Asuma for getting one of her students into his bad habit, he raises his hands and shrugs his shoulders, not going to be the one to blame for Raijin smoking.
"I hope all of you will be able to reach the Hidden Mist without any trouble, but given how things are I would be ready for a fight if it comes to it. You are dismissed to move out on your mission." All of them give nods in the affirmative before leaving the office, a chuckle comes to Hiruzen as he hears Kurenai already berating Asuma for giving Raijin cigarettes.

Konoha main gate

Arriving at the main gates, the team of Jōnin make one lest check of their gear, all except for Raijin and Asuma who already know what they have. Both men are casually smoking a cigarette while waiting for the others to get done with their checks.
"Tsume got you to join her clan, huh?" Asuma raises a brow to Raijin. Taking a puff from his cigarette, Raijin chuckles lightly before answering his friend.
"That she did, I joined willingly but she was persuasive. Now I live at the Inuzuka compound, I have this little one to prove it." Raijin gestures to Jurten who is laying down patiently by his companions side. Asuma chuckles at the explanation, putting out his cigarette he fully straightens himself out as the other Jōnin are finished checking over their gear. Both of them walk up to the team, a simple nod between all of them and they are off, leaping through the trees. Jurten himself has a comfortable spot inside of Raijin's jacket with his head poking out, as the pup is still too young to keep up with the Jōnin on his own.

Forest Clearing

   Hours of traveling later, the team of Jōnin find themselves camped out in a small forest clearing with a full moon overhead. All of them have found their own seat around the fire, Raijin himself is sat down leaning against a log as Jurten sleeps peacefully on the grass beside him. They already had their dinner for the night, now all of them were relaxing by the fire and doing their own thing. Raijin reaches down to his pocket and pulls out his pack of cigarettes, placing one of the tobacco filled sticks in his mouth he lights it with the brass colored lighter that Asuma gave him. A chuckle makes his attention snap to Asuma who is sitting beside Kurenai, Kurenai herself is giving Raijin a small glare because of him smoking.
  "Seems I've turned you into a smoker, Raijin." A smirk graces Raijin's face as he inhales and lets out a small cloud of smoke.
   "Like I told you before, these remind me of the Lho-sticks from back in the Imperium." Asuma nods to Raijin as he stands up and takes out a cigarette of his own.
  "Tell me Raijin, is what my father says about your people true?" The tone of Asuma's voice goes from jovial to serious in a split second, all of the Jōnin have heard of Raijin and his people from the Hokage, but many didn't believe or want to believe that its true.
  "Depends on what it is you're asking." A puff of smoke escapes Raijin's mouth as he sits up a little straighter against the log.
  "Your people, they martyr themselves on the battlefield for your... 'God Emperor'. My father tells me your people never retreat unless absolutely forced to, you fight until the enemy is destroyed or you yourselves are destroyed. Please tell me he is wrong." All of the Jōnin seems to listen intently, having wondered the same thing themselves but never having asked the younger man. A sigh comes from Raijin as he stands to his feet, realizing this is more serious than he thought.
   "He is not wrong, at all. Imperial Guardsmen of Krieg, such as myself, do not retreat or withdraw from an attack unless we are forced to by our commanding officers and commissars. Because amongst all of us, there is a saying that we follow from the time we are born until our death. In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement." All of the Jōnin are silent at Raijin's words, it makes sense to them now why he fights with such wild abandon when he's faced enemy shinobi, should he die it is just a way of atoning for some 'sin' they don't know about.
  "You are not in your homeland any more my youthful friend... You're not a martyr anymore. You do not need to be a martyr anymore." The voice of Might Guy catches everyone's attention as he stands from his seat.
  "The dedication and determination of your people is admirable, but you do not need to give away your life anymore. I'm on first watch." Just like that the subject is changed and dropped entirely as Guy walks away to start the watch rotation, Raijin himself gently nudges Jurten awake as both of them walk off to their own tent underneath the shadow of some trees, 'no longer a martyr', Raijin thinks to himself while walking towards his tent with Jurten following faithfully beside him.