Celadon

“Apparently, this used to take ages.” Jack explained as they stood in the Pokémon center “Well that’s what my dad said, now it’s only a few seconds.” Right on time the nurse retrieved the pokéballs from the machine and put them on the counter.

“Your Pokémon are restored to full health, we hope to see you again.”

“Thank you.” Keir said as they turned to leave.

“Yeah thanks.” Jack added. Once out of the building they both released their Pokémon from the balls. Now that they weren’t battling, and were at full health, the two began to play together.

“It’s nearly 6 now I guess we should go back to the gym.” Announced Keir, meanwhile Eevee and Ike chased each other around the two boys.

“Yeah, I think we’re gonna need to prep for that battle later. And we should ask your mum as too, we don’t to get you in trouble.”

“True, you don’t want to see my mum angry.” Eevee and Ike had stopped chasing one another now, as Ike was making funny faces with his snow.

“Those two have become fast friends.” Jack commented, as Ike donned a rather large beard of snow.

“That’s good, I was worried they wouldn’t after the battle.”

“Don’t worry about it, Pokémon love exciting battles more than anything... just ask them yourself if you want.”

“Perhaps I should try; I don’t like the idea that they might be not enjoying it. Earlier I didn’t think because of the thrill of battling but now I want to make sure.” ‘Eevee, Ike,’ He asked mentally. The two Pokémon turned to look at him. ‘Do you enjoy battling?

Yeah, it’s fun!’ Eevee replied

Really fun!’ Ike added.

But you get hurt.’ Keir said, puzzled.

It’s exciting,’ Ike said back ‘and I know that if I ever get badly hurt, Jack will help me.’ Keir looked at Ike, who had just spoken. And realised he’d just grasped the basics of the link between humans and Pokémon, each species helping and relying on one another, to have fun and achieve what neither could do on its own. An odd thought to have, whilst looking at a tiny ice cream with a snow sombrero on its head.

Will you do that for me Keir?’ Eevee asked, its head cocked.

Of course I will, always!’ He knelt down and picked up the little Pokémon and hugged it, with its ears tickling his chin. They were stood outside the gym now, with only a couple of minutes until 6.

“Have you just talked to them then?” Jack inquired.

“Yeah, I think I understand now.” Keir said as he put Eevee back down, and sat down himself to play with him.

“See I told you there was nothing to worry about, man I am still so jealous... Is there anything Ike wants to tell me?” Keir looked at Ike who’d heard what Jack had said.

Um...’ The little Vanilite looked thoughtful ‘Just tell him he’s a super great trainer, and I’m glad to be his partner.’  Keir repeated the message and Jack blushed slightly, before kneeling down himself and playing with the Pokémon.

“Ditto He laughed as Ike hopped around to prevent being tickled.

“Ok you two, we’ve got dinner reservations in Celadon so I hope you’re both ready.” Keir’s mum said stepping out of the gym.

“Yeah.” Keir replied “Hey, can Eevee come to please?”

“Yes, but I think it would be best to keep them in their balls. It would easily get too crowded if everybody had their Pokémon out.” Keir and Jack both looked a bit disappointed. “I’d put them in now, it will be easier to teleport and save us doing it later.”