Chapter Forty Four: Good

When Callie surfaced from her memories, she wasn't sure where reality began and her dreams ended. She was comfortable and she was safe, or so the voices said. Perhaps she was dead. Yes, that would explain the chorus of people around her.

Everything smelled of Vik. Every breath marred with his scent. Yet she did not hear his voice. Surely death wouldn't deprive her of him.

So, when she opened her eyes, she couldn't help but glare at the warm and welcoming faces of J, Cassidy, Leah, Kelsey and J's grandmother.

"Callie," J said warmly, reaching for her hand.

Callie rolled her eyes and glared at the ghost of the she-wolf. "Even in death I can't catch a break," she muttered, sitting up on the bed.

It was Vik's bed, they were in Vik's shack. So her ever after had taken her to the place she felt safest in the world, had surrounded her with people she loved but still prevented her from being with the one she loved the most.

J recoiled from her obvious disappointment and shared a confused glanced with Cassidy who shifted forwards, taking a seat on the bed beside Callie. "You OK, kid?" she asked, an echo of another conversation they'd had.

So her imagination could recreate conversations she'd had with Cassidy but couldn't recreate one of the nights she'd spent wrapped around Vik? Now that just wasn't fair.

"This is so ridiculous," she muttered, "what next? I remember the thrilling time I did the washing up?"

She growled and angrily crossed her arms over her chest. "Death sucks," she muttered again.

"Callie, you're not dead," J said with laugh.

Callie narrowed her eyes. "Of course I am. That's why you're all here. But I'd ask why my brain can concoct all of this," she said, waving her arm around the room. "Can have me remember conversations I've had with you guys, but can't just cut me a break and let me reminisce having mind blowing sex with Vik."

The she-wolves around her recoiled in shock. A surprised giggle from Kelsey shattering the silence.

"I'm just saying!" Callie yelled, her voice shrill.

The door rattled and opened, and Vik walked in to the silent room.

Callie's eyebrow rose in suspicion. "Oh, you're here."

Judging by the flash of surprise across his face, those were not he words he was expecting.

As other faces began to appear behind him, first Jake and then Jonathon and then the others, a rising feeling of panic had Callie burying her face in her hands.

"I'm not dead am I?"

Somebody laughed awkwardly.

"No, Cal'. You're still alive and kicking," J said kindly, aware of Callie's rising embarrassment as her cheeks flushed pink.

"Kill me now," Callie muttered as the bed dipped beside her and hands pulled her hands from her face. "Vik," Callie breathed in relief.

He stared at her silently, drinking in every detail on her face, his wolf doing the same, before he leant forwards and kissed her, hard.

Kelsey's wolf whistle was drowned out by voices demanding that that was enough. Callie laughed softly as Vik pulled back, leaning his forehead against hers. His hands cupped her face, rubbing her skin softly. "I thought I'd lost you."

Callie smiled and shook her head, placing her hands on top of his. "I'm not that easily to get rid of."

The sad smile he gave her nearly broke her heart. "Don't even joke," he whispered, leaning back but not before planting a soft kiss on the back of her hand.