Chapter Thirty Three: Together

They didn't waste much time on the way to the Magnum pack. They kept moving, sleeping only when they were too exhausted to keep going. Each time they stopped to rest, Vik curled around Callie, holding her close. She might be sleeping on the cold forest floor and might be on her way to finally find out who killed her mother but...god was she happy.

By the time they finally reached the Magnum pack, they all stank and Callie would have killed for a warm shower.

She didn't bother to announce her presence and instead made her way to the house she'd been assigned last time she was here. Vik watched her with a weighted gaze, silent questions piling up, but didn't pry as she opened the door and stepped inside.

It was strange. Last time she'd been here, she'd loved the décor and the homely feel. Now, she couldn't help but miss Vik's shack. The simplicity of it all.

"Ken', there's only one bedroom but there's a sofa," she offered apologetically. Kennedy, who looked dead on her feet, mumbled a thanks and blindly walked towards the offered make-shift bed. She didn't even stop to shower before she collapsed into it and fell to sleep.

Callie smiled at her but paused long enough to eye the bag she'd carried on her back, like they all had done. It would be rude, Callie knew, to rummage through her friend's belongings. But Vik's mother's warning rung in her head.

She decided to ignore it.

Walking into the bedroom and to the little en-suite, she made a beeline for the shower, smiling wide as she held her hand under the flow of warm water. She began peeling her clothing off, realising at the last moment that Vik stood behind her in the doorway between the bathroom and her bedroom.

His arms were crossed over his chest, he watched her silently. She sighed, rolling her eyes before turning towards him. He looked troubled – felt troubled – not that he'd voice as much.

"What's up Vik?" she asked quietly as she stepped towards him, his eyes raking up and down her naked body. The unbridled need in his gaze made her knees weak.

His face turned serious. "You seem very at home here. Have a house and all." His wolf flashed in his eyes, his jaw tight.

Callie shrugged, suddenly uncomfortable beneath his gaze as a chill wrapped around her. "They gave it to me last time I was here. They said I was always welcome."

"They?" Vik pressed, something flashing in his eyes.

Callie nodded hesitantly, eyeing Vik for any signs of his wolf. Something was wrong. "Yes. Caleb and his mate."

Vik's jaw ticked and he stood up from the door frame, taking a step towards Callie. She skittered back a step, he followed, until the cool of the porcelain sink bit into the flesh of her butt.

He towered over her, pure predator in that moment. Her heart thrummed in her chest, but she wasn't afraid, not really. Intrigued maybe. Hungry, for sure. And not for food - though she wouldn't pass up a cheeseburger right now.

He leaned down, his mouth inches from hers, his eyes darting between her lips and her eyes, hunger evident in every flick.

"When we met you told me you'd kissed a mated wolf."

Like a bucket of cold water had been thrown over her, Callie sucked in a sharp breath.

Vik leaned back, putting distance between them. "I thought as much. It was Caleb, wasn't it?"

Callie fumbled for words. She'd forgotten, forgotten all about that damned kiss. "Yes, it was yes, but it didn't mean anything. It was a goodbye if anything, I-"

"Do you want him? Is that why we came here?" Vik didn't look at her as he said it. And there was no anger in his tone - no, there was something worse. Sadness. Hurt. Maybe even a little resignation.

Her stomach dropped and she took a hesitant step towards him, wanting desperately to reach for him, to bring those eyes of his back to her so that she could see what he was thinking, but then thought better of it and stayed where she was.

"No, of course not. Caleb was- he was the first man I loved but it is exactly that – loved – past tense. He is mated, and now...so am I," she finished with a tinge of awe to her voice. Vik finally glanced towards her and she could see the conflict in his eyes.

"Vik, I love you. Just you. Only ever you."

He looked away again and her chest squeezed. She should never have kissed Caleb, guilt swarmed in her middle.

His whole frame was shaking and he drew in a fractured breath, when he looked back to her his wolf was blaring out of his eyes.

"It will only ever be me, Callie. I do not share what's mine."

Like that, her fear, her guilt was gone and in its place was a burning need – the kind of temptation only he could offer.

"I'd expect nothing less," she countered. "And I don't share either. We are visitors here, that's all. My home is with you, in Shadow Valley."

He closed the distance between them, abandoning his clothing as he swept her into the shower.

She tried to be quiet so that they didn't wake Kennedy.

Honestly, she tried.