Chapter Twenty Nine: Accept

For the most part, Kennedy was correct. Although there were a few suspicious glances in her direction, no anger was directed towards either of them as they reached the centre of the packlands, the enforcer by their side.

She hadn't realised how big their packlands were. It was almost double the size of Rootbridge and, although they hadn't been there long, it was beautiful. Houses had been built in blocks, with shared gardens littered with drying washing, impressive floral displays and giggling children. As they neared the centre, it grew busier.

There was a church, the bells ringing as the morning warmed, summer on its way. Shops, offices and a large community centre filled the streets, forming a tight circle in the very centre of the packlands. But it was the market that caught Callie's eye. Wears of all sorts were on offer, food too that looked freshly picked from the ground. It was so full of life that Callie found herself drawn towards it, getting lost in the crowds providing a handy escape from her thoughts.

Still, a few people stared but Callie simply smiled in return. She stopped at one stall, a young woman selling jewellery looked her up and down but soon fell into a friendly sales patter as Callie began asking how she designed such beautiful pieces. There was one in particular that caught her eye, a swirling silver pendant that looked like ocean waves.

She moved to the next stall, sampling a small glass of cider when offered. She chatted to the man, Steven, about how he used apples from the orchard at the bottom of the mountain. Of how he made the cider just like his father had before him. By the end of their chat, Callie had been invited to tour the orchard and have dinner with the man's family.

On and on she went, Kennedy trailing behind her, meeting person after person. By the time she'd reached the other end of the market, word had travelled about the friendly she-wolf and her silent friend.

Sat beneath a large tree in the shade, Callie blew out a breath and lounged back against the grass. She liked these packlands, the hustle and bustle in the background as the market continued. Linda, a woman who made cheese, had given them each a plate of food. Some bread from the baker, an apple from the orchard, even a generous helping of chutney that Callie knew was made by the reverend's husband, and of course a large block of cheese. Callie hadn't had any money so had tried to refuse, but Linda had insisted, so Callie offered to help run the stall for a while and give the woman a break. She thought she'd refuse, but the sweat shining on her forehead and the hope in her eyes at the idea of a moment in the shade had given her away and soon enough, Callie had manned the stall while Linda nipped home.

It had been quiet, though Callie did make two sales. Mainly, she thought, they had come to investigate the stranger making herself at home in their market. But, Callie was never one to miss an opportunity and soon both wolves were on their way with a bag full of Linda's finest cheese and gossip ready to share.

Now, slightly exhausted from a simple hour of work, reminding Callie that she hadn't slept well the night before, Callie was enjoying the silent escape in the shade, her food half-eaten beside her while Kennedy continued to eat her plateful.

Callie's mind kept drifting to all she'd learned about her parents. To the relationships she'd so clearly misunderstood. Her uncle had lied to her. He was not as close to her mother or father as he had claimed. What else had he been lying about?

Vik's suggestion that maybe her uncle had something to do with her mother's murder kept floating to the top of her mind.

What if he'd been right?

"Did I hear them ask you about Vik?" Kennedy said around a mouthful of bread.

Callie sighed and cracked open one eye. "Yes, you did. They asked if he was back and I said yes. Then they started telling me about Lily." Callie tried to hide the slight bitterness to her tone but then wondered why she'd bothered. Kennedy could read her emotions easily enough. She'd detect the pain hidden beneath.

"What did they say?" Kennedy pushed. Perhaps curious, perhaps knowing that Callie needed to share the information.

Callie pushed herself up into a seating position, scooting back until she could lean against the ancient tree. "Just that she was beautiful. Kind. Sweet. All the wonderful things that I'm sure Vik would echo." She really didn't mean to sound as bitter as she did, that time.

She sighed and picked a daisy from the grass, twirling it in her fingers as voices rose and fell behind them like soft lilting music.

"They all said how gentle she was and I-I can't see it," she admitted, the thought had been plaguing her since the conversations earlier. She glanced around her to make sure no one could overhear before continuing. "Everyone says how innocent and gentle she was, but I look at Vik and I just can't see how they'd be a match." She sighed angrily. "I shouldn't say that."

Kennedy shrugged and shuffled closer. "You're not wrong. Vik is anything but gentle."

Callie tilted her head back and studied the shards of sky she could see between the tree branches. "Maybe he was," she mused, plucking the petals from the daisy. "Maybe before he killed her, he was gentle and sweet and-"

"Deadly. I was always deadly." Her eyes snapped to him, wide and guilty, her face flushing.

"Vik." His wolf flashed in his eyes as she said his name and he took a step towards her automatically, stopping himself from moving again.

He didn't speak.

Callie glanced at Kennedy and eased herself to her feet, the she-wolf following suit.

"I'll uh, go, look at the mountains," Kennedy said in a rush before disappearing off into the crowds.

Callie took a step towards Vik and then stopped.

"You didn't come back last night," she said quietly.

He lowered his head. "No, I just needed some time."

"I get it," she muttered quietly, kicking at the ground beneath her feet.

He took another step closer. Then another. And another. Until he was right in front of her. She held her breath as he looked down at her, his eyes swirling with so many emotions. She forgot how to breathe for a moment, so lost in his gaze. She'd missed him so much.

His hand rose and settled against her neck, he tugged her forwards and kissed her, his touch urgent, desperate.

Maybe he'd missed her too.