↬ | chapter six

Start from the beginning

  "Oh really?" the blonde tested, pointing a finger at the inside of the sharp piece of metal. It was engraved. "J.M. John Murphy."

   "Clarke." Maggie grabbed her wrist, figuring that she could try to knock some sense into the quick-thinking girl. "Come on. Do you really think Murphy would leave a knife with his own initials only a few yards away from camp with Wells's fingers without even trying to hide it? Now I'm not best friends with him either, but I'm going to take a firm guess and say no. I know you're angry, and I am too, but—"

   "The people have a right to know," Clarke interrupted, exiting the tent without looking back. Once again, nobody was listening to her, but this time it wasn't Bellamy Blake. 

   "This isn't going to end well, is it?" Magnolia inquired to the group as they all let out a synchronized no. "Come on."

   Bellamy and Maggie chased after Clarke, but they were too late. "Son of a bitch!" she shoved Murphy abruptly, leaving him dumbfounded. 

   He threw his arms in the air, "Woah there. What's your problem?"

   "Recognize this?" Clarke held up the knife threateningly. The four others that were in the tent stood from a distance, watching the girl lash out on him. Either he was a hell of a good actor, or Murphy had no clue as to where she was going with it. 

   "It's my knife, where'd you find it?" he reached for it, only for Clarke to rip it away. 

   "Where you dropped it after you killed Wells!"

   "Where I what?" John deadpanned, double-checking to make sure he wasn't going crazy and heard her correctly. Magnolia observed as others began to crowd around the two. She shook her head, knowing that one of those people were the culprit behind the crime, not Murphy. If he wanted to kill Wells, the kid would've been more strategic with it. "The Grounders killed Wells, not me."

   Their voices became more hushed, and Maggie was unable to hear what they were saying.    

   "Bellamy, Magnolia. You really believe this crap?" Murphy suddenly shifted his focus, and Maggie scoffed— of course he'd use her full first name. But both of them remained silent; it was better than getting themselves more involved than they already were. 

   "You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells."

   "Plenty of people hated Wells," Murphy reasoned, and although it was wrong, Maggie knew it was the truth. "His father was the chancellor that locked us up!"

   "Yeah, but you're the only one who got in a knife fight with him!" Clarke raised her voice, persuading the majority of the group to believe her easily. Of course they were believing her— they'd listen to anything and side with it. 

   Easily swayed. 

   Maggie felt as if she had just stepped on the ground again and it was the pointless fight over who would get supplies at Mount Weather— only this was much more critical. The Gray girl said she sided with opinions and not the person. This time around, avenging someone's life was on the line.

   Magnolia originally was convinced that her and Clarke were on the same page, for the most part anyway. But it really made her apprehend something about the blonde leader; her weakness was the people she held close. She'd do anything to bring Wells's murder justice, only she wasn't truly serving justice if the wrong person was being held accountable. 

   "Yeah, I didn't kill him then either."

  "Tried to kill Jasper too," Octavia suddenly intervened, making both Bellamy and Maggie snap their heads. What side was she on? She was only adding fuel to the fire.