Chapter 28

Eden couldn't shake the feeling that there was some being, some entity creeping at the edge of his vision, just out of view, on the way to the guardhouse. He tried to resist giving in to such a weakness, but when the feeling itched, he glanced to the right, where he would invariably see nothing.

The feeling stuck nonetheless.

"Is something wrong?" Messenger asked.

"No, nothing," Eden returned. When his kingship was secured, the first thing he would do would be bring a master artificer from Estis and commission a new eye. Perhaps his master's master would be skilled enough for such a task.

The guard Eden talked to knew exactly what he was asking for. He disappeared and returned moments later with a long object wrapped in a thick cloth and handed it to Eden. After unwrapping it carefully, Eden hefted the glaive and admired its build. Not too light, not too heavy; well balanced, and the blade shaved a few hairs when he ran his arm against it. He rewrapped it with a nod to the guard.

The whole way back to the Fishers' home, the watched feeling stayed. Eden tried to chalk it up to mere paranoia; with his eye newly missing and two assassination attempts in the past few days, he was bound to be jumpier than normal. Mere paranoia or not, the feeling hovered about him like a swarm of gnats on a hot summer day.

After Eden glanced to his right for the umpteenth time, Messenger spoke up. "What is it?"

"Probably nothing," Eden said half-heartedly, still turned away from Messenger.

"Eden..." Messenger said.

Eden sighed. "I... have a feeling as though I'm being watched. Have you noticed anything?"

"No," Messenger admitted. "I'll be wary for it now."

"As I said. Probably nothing," Eden said. "It's always from my right side, so... I'm sure it's nothing."

"But it might not be," Messenger said. "Regardless, I'll keep an eye out."

They continued their walk through Amar. In the wealthy district, buildings were tall and ornamental, giving any potential tails more than enough cover to follow by rooftop or even by ground.

There was movement all around; it was nearing midday, and there was no avoiding the crowd. The suggestions of people at the edge of Eden's vision weren't what bothered him; it was the flicker of motion that wasn't quite part of the flow or the color that didn't quite match, but when he turned his head, it was already gone, leaving him to wonder if it really happened or it it was a mere suggestion of his imagination.

Messenger took to turning when he saw Eden suddenly glance over at something that may or may not have been. Eden was grateful, but with every look that returned nothing, he felt more and more the fool.

Then again, why was he so sure he was the fool? The alchemical assassination attempt had been accounted for by means of Lord Charere, but not Kander, or Garian, or whatever his name was- he'd visited the palace today. Whoever sent the assassin for him could have had him tailed to find where he was holed up to avoid them. Eden suddenly grew aware of the weight and purpose of the glaive he carried.

"I think it might be best to take an alternate route," Eden suggested quietly. "I would rather not be followed."

"I agree," Messenger said. "Care for fresh fish?" he asked, pointing to a restaurant just down the street.

"I can't think of anything better," Eden said. "I'll follow your lead."

Messenger and Eden were greeted by an overwhelmed host who welcomed them enthusiastically , recognizing the prestige represented by the two men.