Chapter 8

"What do we do with him?" Lias's voice floated to Messenger's ears through a fog. "If we take him to the guard, they'll think we killed him."

"Then what do you want to do?" asked Kalis. "Throw him in the harbor? He saved your life!"

Messenger slowly opened his eyes. There was a white cloth over his face. He blinked.

"Of course not!" Lias assured her. "I don't know, maybe we can bury him ourselves. Proper sendoff and all."

"What about his family? His friends?"

"I- I don't know," Lias sighed. "I just... you know the guard will take it as an excuse to jail us. Or hang us."

Messenger's chest still hurt.

"I know," Kalis said, subdued. "I know. It's just... he deserves better."

Oh, Messenger thought. They're talking about me. His thoughts were always woozy when he woke up.

Lias sighed again. "We'll figure something out," he conceded. "You're right."

Messenger sat up, the cloth falling off his face. Squinting blearily, he tried to find his bearings.

Kalis tilted her head. "Perhaps we can-" Her eyes grew round as they lighted upon Messenger, and her words caught in her throat.

Lias frowned. "Kalis? What is it?" Following her gaze, he turned, eyes widening in shock as well.

"Gh-ghost," Lias stammered. "Ghoul."

"We'll- we'll have you a proper funeral," Kalis said quickly. "All proper and... and good."

Messenger looked down. He really was a rather dreadful sight, all covered in blood, stark against his white uniform.

"I never planned to throw you in the harbor," Lias added. "You can rest, spirit."

"Ah- don't worry about it," Messenger reassured them. "My health has improved drastically lately. Seems I won't need a sendoff at all."

Lias and Kalis simply stared.

"I'm not dead," Messenger clarified.

"But... you are," Lias said emphatically. "There were... there were swords in you, and they pierced your heart, and then the wood was covered in your blood..."

"They must have missed," Messenger said.

"They didn't," Lias argued. "And even if they had, no man could survive losing that much blood."

"I did," Messenger said.

"You weren't breathing. Your heart didn't beat," Lias continued.

"Love, some vengeful spirits don't remember their deaths," Kalis whispered. "They think they're still alive."

"Lord Messenger," Lias started slowly, as though talking to a child. "There was... an incident-"

"Oh, for the love of-" Messenger stood and crossed the room. Lias and Kalis shrunk back, but didn't step back. "I have a pulse. Here." He thrust out his arm. Hesitantly, Kalis took it, pressing two fingers against his wrist. Her brow furrowed, and her lips parted in confusion.

"You... do," she said in an extraordinarily befuddled manner.

"He does?" Lias asked.

"As I said," Messenger said. "Not dead. And really," he added. "I have a mask for a reason. What have you done with it?"

Both of them reddened. "Forgive us, milord," Kalis said sheepishly. "We were... curious." She jerked her head to the side in a gesture, and Lias left briefly and returned with the mask.

"Thank you." Messenger accepted the proferred mask, but didn't put it back on.

"How is this possible, Lord Messenger?" Lias asked.

"Please, just Messenger. And I suppose I just got lucky. Missed all the vital areas and such."

"That's impossible. You'd still be dead."

"That's the best answer you'll get. Try not to spread the word."

Lias nodded slowly.

"Now, if that's cleared up, there's something I'd like to discuss."