Chapter 10

"Thank you for the invitation, Your Highness," gushed the portly nobleman in front of Eden. The man wore his most impressive- in other words, frivolous and ridiculous- attire in an attempt to impress Prince Eden. How unfortunate for him that his house's colors were orange and blue.

"No thanks necessary, Lord Bahk," Eden replied with an easy smile. They sat alone on a balcony overlooking Amar, the capital city of Valina's, richest districts. Servants brought out wine and handily crafted complications of ham and cheese to preface their lunch.

"I fear I'm a little... behind the curve, as it were, here, in all honesty," Eden confessed. "I spent so much time away from court. I never expected..." He trailed off, as though unable to continue.

Lord Bahk's expression turned zealously mournful. "Of course, Your Highness. All of Valina mourns Prince Maleh's death. Sudden illness, how unlikely! You have my greatest condolences."

Well, not everyone, but Eden schooled his features into an appropriately sorrowful expression anyhow. "Thank you, Lord Bahk. I truly admired Maleh; I simply hope I can live up to the man he was." There were whispers, of course, that it had been an assassination. Some whispers even put Eden as the culprit. He'd have the most to gain from it, of course, as the second son of the king. But neither of them mentioned that. Nevermind all that, though; it was time to read.

"You'll do a fine job, Your Highness. I already see so much of him in you," Lord Bahk said. "I knew him well, you know. We were of the same mind on several matters." His body language was open, his nerves still. He really was an ally of the late prince. Good to know.

"Then I'm sure we will get along just as well, then, surely. But enough of that," Eden said, leaning back and taking a sip of wine.. "I didn't invite you here just to speak of Maleh, may the Saints watch over him. I'd like to get to know members of the court, seeing as I'm obviously to take a more active role in it from now on."

"Of course, Your Highness," Lord Bahk agreed. He took a bite of the appetizers and washed it down with some wine. The red of the drink paired well with his ruddy complexion, Eden noted.

"Though I must ask," Eden said, "what of your son... Adrian, was it? I had hoped he could join us today."

"Ah. Well," Lord Bahk started, subconsciously scratching one arm with the other, "Adrian had a bit of a fall while riding just two days ago. Nothing serious, nothing broken, thankfully, but the healers have ordered him to stay in for a time. His shoulder's been aching madly, he says." Lord Bahk held Eden's gaze smoothly. Too smoothly. It was likely a lie; not hugely consequential, but inconvenient. Eden would have quite liked to see if Adrian and his father were on the same page, politically.

There were a few explanations Eden could think of for why Adrian wasn't here. The most obvious, and most likely, was simply that Lord Bahk hadn't told Adrian. The man seemed quite eager to make his impression on the new crown prince and could see bringing his son as a detriment. Conversely, Adrian himself could have chosen not to come, which could either be because he wasn't interested in politics or because he wasn't fond of the late prince and expected the same of the new one. If it were Adrian's choice not to come, Eden hoped it was the latter explanation. Either way, seeing as the Bahk family oversaw royal finances, he would have to find some way to meet with him at one point or another.

"How unfortunate."

"Yes, quite," Lord Bahk said, not sounding incredibly distressed.

Eden signalled at a few attending servants to bring in the main courses. There was honey roasted ham, meat so tender it melted in the mouth; buttered and spiced corn, removed from the cob; fresh salad, with various toppings and a light vinaigrette; and fluffy bread, fresh from the oven. He smiled and nodded in acknowledgement at the attendants as they set the dishes down; Lord Bahk eyed the meal hungrily.