Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

Tulip clapped as Sidney grabbed the arm of the park bench and fell back on the seat. "You did it! I'm proud of you."

"I'm hot." Sidney wasn't for the celebration as she slumped back on the bench. "Can I have one of those?" She pointed to the people huddled around a snow cone cart as she took a deep breath with sweat sliding down her face.

"Yeah," Tulip said about to glide over to the stand until Jasper's hand upon her arm stopped her.

"I'll get it." He said, letting her limb go as she took a quick glance at his skin upon hers, bringing a shiver down the middle of her back that shouldn't have been through in the heat of summer. "What flavor do you want?"

"Apple!" Sidney said happily.

"One apple and..." He said, taking a step backward and setting his eyes on Tulip. "You still love cherry?"

"No thank you. I don't want one." She said sitting next to Sidney under the shade.

"Come on, MeMe," Sidney begged. "Have a snow cone with us."

Tulip sighed and said, "Sure. I still like cherry."

"Good." He said with a smile growing on his face. "A cherry and an apple coming up." He jogged over to the cart before the line expanded longer than three people deep.

Tulip was happy the little one persuaded her to get the ice treat as it rapidly cooled off her hot body. They would've been eating flavored ice in silence if it wasn't for Sidney's need to tell them about the time she went to a friend's birthday party and they had an ice sculpture of them as a baby and Armend bit off the foot.

"Who's Armend?" Jasper asked as balled up the paper cup his snow cone was in.

"My Albanian boy—" Sidney started then Tulip jumped in and said, "Her best friend."

Jasper nodded with a chuckle. "He seems fun."

"He is." Sidney slumped back, sliding her roller skate-fitted feet across the ground as she sadly peered down at her green snow cone. "I miss him."

"I know." Tulip stroked the little girl's back. "You should write him a letter or maybe we can call him."

Sidney's eyes lit up, "Does this mean I'm getting the new iPhone?"

"No." Tulip quickly shot down. "But I have an old one floating around somewhere I can give you."

"But..." Sidney was about to protest.

"A ten-year-old doesn't need an iPhone ten." Tulip insisted.

Sidney turned to Jasper and he shook his head. "Your Meme's right."

"Fine but can I have AirPods?" She asked before tipping the cup to her mouth, her snow cone was now a slushie.

"Yes," Tulip said. "As soon as you get AirPod money." She knew Sidney used to have money flow like milk and honey and was accustomed to getting whatever she wanted whenever she wanted but she wasn't about to raise a spoiled child that didn't know the value of a dollar even though she probably had enough coins in her trust that would sustain her from working until she was eighty-eight.

Silence fell upon the trio as they finished up their snow cones before they completely turned to liquid. Tulip thought the day would be awkward but was surprised that it was unusually easy for them to be together even though she and Jasper didn't engage in full conversations. All of their attention was on Sidney and that was just how she wanted it and how it was supposed to be. Although she wasn't surprised that the strong disdain that weighed her down like an albatross every time she thought of him had released itself from her soul after they had their late-night conversation at his loft.

A faint smile curved up her plump lips as she peered at the cute little family playing biking on the other side of the park and she wondered if that could be them. A family.

"Are you single?" Sidney's question yanked Tulip from her introspect thoughts.

"What?" Tulip jerked her head towards the girl and before she could tell her to stop prying in Jasper's personal business he answered.

"I am." His sight was squarely on Sidney. "Why?"

"No reason. Just curious." Sidney shrugged with a smirk then she stood cautiously. "Can we go around one more time?"

"Yeah," Tulip said slowly as she rose to her feet. "Then we have to go before traffic gets crazy."

They took another lap around the park's courtyard and by the time they made it back to the parking lot the brightness of the sun had dimmed a degree. A new set of vehicles had claimed the spot near her SUV and his truck. She didn't have to look at her watch to know they'd been there for more than an hour. Sidney jumped in the car as soon as the door was unlocked and Tulip was right behind her.

"Thank you," Jasper said as she strode to the driver's side of her yellow SUV.

She twisted on the heels of her sneakers. "For what?"

"For giving me a second chance." He pushed his hands in the pockets of his shorts. "You didn't have to and I'm grateful."

"Well..." She shrugged as she toyed with her keys. "I'll do anything for that little girl...just don't tell her."

She smiled and he mimicked her elation.

"It'll be our little secret." He winked. "But same."

The space between them swelled with a palpable energy that birthed goosebumps to the back of Tulip's neck and as his brown eyes rolled over the curves of her face. His lips parted as if he wanted to utter words but nothing tumbled out.

"Um...it's hot in there." She jutted her thumb to her vehicle breaking the awkward moment. "So, goodnight."

"Yeah. Yeah." He nodded abruptly. "Goodnight. Be safe. Call me...whenever."

Tulip climbed in the Bronco and cranked it up blasting both of them with the air conditioner. It wasn't until she sitting in traffic on I-45 with cool air whirled around as music played and Sidney was fast asleep that she began to wonder what he meant by 'call me...whenever.'

What do you think Jasper meant by 'call me...whenever'?

What do you think Jasper wanted to say during their awkward goodbye?

Why do you think Sidney wants to know if Jasper is single?

Do you think Tulip is right for not letting Sidney get the latest iPhone?