"Absolutely." I grab the tumblers from below the liquor shelf behind my desk, used to showcase Seven Sinners whiskeys throughout the years, and set them on the blotter.

I pop the cork without making a mess and fill them almost to the brim. 

"Whoa. A little more heavy-handed with your pouring than normal?" Tiffany comments.

Instead of responding, I lift my glass, which prompts her to do the same. "Cheers."

We clink the crystal together, and I take a healthy swallow. It's a perfect balance of sweet and dry, and an added bonus---the bubbles go straight to my head as I concentrate on draining the entire thing. 

Yes, this is exactly what I needed after this afternoon.

I set my glass down and turn the bottle around to investigate the label more thoroughly. I don't recognize the name, but that doesn't mean much. I don't keep up with the wine business.

"Nice choice," I say as I refill my glass. When I look up, Tiffany's gaze locks on mine.

"I know the last few months have been rough. If there's anything I can do, more I can take off your plate, just let me know. I'm here to help."

She's sweet, and a hell of an employee, but she has no clue why I would really like to finish this entire bottle myself. Maybe If I'm drunk when I go back to Fenty's... As soon as the thought crosses my mind, I know it's the wrong move. I need my wits about me when I face her, and while I can drink whiskey all day and not have an issue, champagne is a completely different story.

"Or if you ever want to talk about what happened---"

I raise my glass to my lips again, and when I set it down, I drop my hands into my lap. "You've already taken on plenty. Hell, you deserve a raise, and as soon as we get the check from the Voodoo KIngs, You'll get one."

Her expression changes into one of excitement. "Really? That would be amazing. The last time I was offered a raise, there was no way I was agreeing to the terms." As soon as the words are out, she looks like she wants to snatch them back.

"What are you talking about? Here?" 

Guilt floods her features as she shakes her head vigorously. "No. Uh, another job. Somewhere else."

I study her closer. "You're a terrible liar."

This time it's Tiffany lifting her champagne to gulp it down.

"Tell me."   I already have a sick feeling twisting in my stomach. Intuition.  

"I shouldn't. It doesn't matter anymore."

I lean both elbows on my desk, my glass hanging between my thumbs and forefingers. "Just freaking tell me. Whatever you say stays between us and will have zero impact on your job. I promise." What I tell her is the absolute truth, because there's no way I can afford to lose her.

She refills her glass and takes another sip. "Let's just say that if it hadn't been for you being kind of my idol in the business world, and the shitty state of the job market around here, I would've quit as soon as Meek came on board."

"What did he say to you?"

The color drains from her face and her gaze darts around the room, eager to land anywhere but on me. "I submitted a request for a raise, but I didn't realize you'd already left for a meeting. Meek reviewed it and called me into his office to discuss." She pours another measure of champagne down her throat, as if needing the liquid courage.

I, on the other hand, need it to numb the rage boiling through me. "And?" 

"He said that if I wanted a raise, I'd have to earn it the old-fashioned way. I thought he meant working harder." She pauses, her lips pressed together as if not wanting to voice the rest of the horrible truth. I nod, prompting her to continue. "He unzipped his pants and told me I better get to sucking." She chokes on the last part, just like I would choke the life out of Meek if he were still alive.