Chapter 4 - A New Pack

Start from the beginning

I climbed into the backseat of the car, knowing Julian didn't want me to sit so close to him; he's one of many who are scared for their life around me in case I suddenly lose my shit and start some kind of fight.

I am civilised. I wouldn't do it for no reason. Or in a car, at that.

"Are you ready?" He asked politely. As much as he didn't like me, it's still his job to be professional at all times and in all situations; even if it is just us two.

"As I'll ever be," I sighed "any idea how long the drive will be?"

"About and hour and a half. We have to drive through town and into the forest then through the human town." He started the engine and began pulling out of my family home's drive.

"I'm feeling a little bit distressed, mind if I just put in my headphones?" I gave him a half smile and looked at him through the rear view mirror, catching his eye for a moment.

Leaving my family must've been some kind of trigger for my animalistic instincts; wolves live and die for their packs, their families and their homes. I guess the idea of my wolf putting her loyalty into a new pack she'd never met and has no reason to trust has put her a little on edge.

"Knock yourself out."

XX

The airport was a lot more sociable than the car ride - than the pack, even.

"There's so many people here."

"I know."

"I've only ever seen this many people at the bonfire."

"I know."

"Do you think-"

"Reyna, I get it's a lot of people, a lot more than you're used to - what, with your social issues and all, but let's not go all Reyna Michaels on these humans." Julian rolled his eyes and continued scrolling through his phone from his chair next to me.

I knew he doesn't like me much but damn no need to be so rude.

I took a deep breath to control the anger - this would be the absolute worst place to go off on one of my anger-fits, it being a human public space.

At first, being around all of these humans was very overwhelming. Their scent alone was enough to make me want to vomit but I got over that about 45 minutes ago. Hearing all of their human dramas, though, was incredibly entertaining.

Here are some of the human stories I've heard in the past half hour: girl with three boyfriends doesn't know who's family to see at thanksgiving, guy with two boyfriends still hasn't come out to his family, mom who's kid got caught dealing drugs so she has to leave her work conference four days early, grandma who lost her luggage and my personal favourite - Uncle Karl got into a bar fight, got arrested and traded his glass eye for half a joint while waiting for his bail to be posted.

I'd never been more thankful that us wolves are so family oriented and a very loving species as a whole. We rarely start fights within the pack that don't involve the training ring; of course there's teenage spats here and there but definitely no Uncle Karl sized brawls.

I guess I'm the exception,

Hooray for breaking stereotypes, right?

"Flight 3-42 to New Orleans is now boarding. Flight 3-42 to New Orleans is now boarding."

I stood from the ridiculously uncomfortable chairs provided by the airline and slung my bag onto my shoulder. Julian put his phone in his pocket and stood up, stretching his neck and gesturing for me to lead the way to the check-in podium.