So This Is Love

"Ah, Ms

"Ah, Ms. Rella! What a pleasure. We have your usual table ready if you would follow me."

Cindy glances over at her fiancé just in time to see his jaw clench. An uncomfortable knot begins to form in the pit of her stomach. She'll have to talk to the restaurant about making sure their standing reservation is under "Mr. Charming" instead of her last name.

"Can I interest you in a glass of wine or a cocktail to start?" Their host asks.

"Yes, I'll take a -"

"She'll have champagne and I'll take a scotch on the rocks."

Cindy glares at her fiancé as the host places the menus before them.

"Sweetheart, you're turning a most unbecoming shade of tomato," he drawls, nonchalantly taking a look at the dinner menu.

"Henry, since when do you order for me? If you're upset about the name-" She stops talking at the dangerous glint in her fiancé's eye.

"You think I care about that? That's absurd!" He tries to laugh but it falls flat.

Cindy grimaces. The more she's risen to notoriety the more his chagrin becomes apparent.

Cindy had already been in the spotlight as an actress, but the limelight was fleeting - low budget films, a few commercials. She scraped by for years in a tiny apartment shared with her two sisters, hoping to one day get her big break. Well as fate would have it, this didn't happen till she met Mr. Henry Charming. Oh, what a life-changing night that had been....

"Cindy, the man is trying to take our order. I'd order for you, but I don't want my head bit off before the main course."

Shaken back to reality, she apologizes and glances at the waiter. "I'd like the pumpkin ravioli, thank you."

"Very well, and for you sir?"

"Steak, rare. And when I say rare I mean rare. And another scotch."

As the waiter leaves, Henry reaches his hand across the table just as Cindy reaches for her water glass instead.

Clearing his throat, he asks, "Want to stay at my place tonight?"

Not making eye contact she hesitates, "We haven't been connecting exactly on that level...."

"And that's my fault of course? You never miss a chance to remind me do you?"

With a sigh, Cindy shakes her head. "I'm not the one that....that..." Unable to continue she simply stares in her lap.

"Dammit, Cindy I'm trying here!" Draining his drink, he slams the glass on the table. "We're here at your favorite restaurant, I put on a suit, I bought you a dozen roses. Is that not enough!?"

"Shhh! Lower your voice, don't make a scene," She hisses.

The waiter returns with their drinks, and Cindy takes an unsteady gulp of champagne. The knot in her stomach is moving into ulcer status.