Chapter 34: Accepting the Title

Previously on BCube: The soccer team is having their practice when the coach calls for them. They gathered and seated. Unfortunately, they learned that their captain needs a temporary substitute.

Chapter 34: Accepting the Title

"Nyle ...," the coach calls him. All eyes are set towards Nyle.

"Yes ... coach?" He gulps, confusion lacing on his voice.

"Nyle will be the captain?" another assumes.

"Hush. He's not finished," he whispers.

The coach continues, "I cannot make you the captain, Nyle. It's too risky, and I don't want you to feel pressured. That is why ... I've decided that our captain will be ...," he looks at the team with a serious face.

'Hey, Coach. Tell it already!' he tells in his mind as he throbs.

'The suspense is killing me, Coach!!!' another player thinks impatiently.

Nyle gulps. 'At least it's not me,' he tells himself.

"Dane," the coach calls.

"What is it, Coach?" He throbs as he sets a skeptical look at him.

The coach smiles, and then extends his arm. He's holding something and he seems to be offering it to him. "I'm giving you the captain's band, Dane. I have also consulted your captain, and he approves of it. We know you're capable of leading the soccer team."

He gets surprised as he stares at what the coach is holding. He tells himself, 'I know it's just a thin strip of cloth but ... that cloth is still very heavy. I don't know if I can carry it.'

"What's wrong, Dane?" a teammate asks.

"Come on, the coach asks you to be the captain!"

"Accept it Dane, we'll be supporting you!"

"Yeah!!! Go, Captain!"

He gets tensed getting aback, 'Ugh ... Why are they so persistent?' he tells himself. He looks at the coach again then he stands up.

"Come on, Dane. The captain's band is waiting," he smiles. "Can't you hear the team? They want you to be their captain."

He sighs then looks at the band, "I will do my best, Coach. I'll try not to disappoint everyone, especially Captain," he says in a determined voice, as he extends his hand to get the band. The coach gives it to him then he stares at it in his hand. "Thank you for trusting me ... everyone."

The coach smiles, "Well, you deserve that, Dane."

 *****

Two days has passed. Nyle is always on the soccer field during the afternoon that is why the Student Council asks him to join them for the morning break. All of the six members are gathered in one table at the school's canteen.

"Master Nyle!!! We really miss you!!!" Eumee exclaims then she clutches the guy's arm as they are seated.

"Calm down, Eumee," says Mahrie as she bites on her slice of pizza.

"I'm really sorry if haven't attended the Council this past few days," Nyle apologizes as he looks down.

"Don't worry, Nyle.  We understand," Dylan words out.

"He's right! We know that the soccer team also needs Master Nyle and all we can do is to support you in the upcoming regionals," she beams and she's still clutching his arm tightly.

"Eumee, you're already squeezing his arm," the Prez says.

"But president! This is one of the most precious times to be with Master Nyle!"

"It's okay. I don't mind it," Nyle says.

"By the way Nyle, I've heard that they've already recorded the results from the removal tests," R breaks to them.

"Oh ... really? Maybe I'm going to check it out later," he sighs remembering the removal test all of a sudden. "I don't know but it made me feel nervous," he says softly.

"Good lucks, Master Nyle!!!"

Somebody arrives a while later and energetically greets them, "Hey, look, the 'Baudelaire's Cube' is here!" he says loudly then he looks at R, "What's up, Bro?"

"Hey, Guise," he greets back.

The president gets confused tilting her head, "Baudelaire's ... what?"

"Doushite? [Why?] Don't you know what that is, President?" Guise asks with a wide grin.

"I know that. But why are you calling us with it?" she tells with knitted eyebrows.

"Lame-eey ...," Mahrie murmurs in a lazy tone.

"Who are you calling 'lame,' Bro?" Guise glances at her.

"You can't just give us titles, Guise. I've heard that the last ones who got that title was about three years ago, if I wasn't mistaken."

"Yes, Bro, and you're the new ones," he says while giving her a glare.

She glares back, "Don't call me Bro!"

"You guys just don't get along, huh?" Dylan tells them.

"Baudelaire's Cube ...," Nyle mutters, "I haven't heard of it."

Hearing that, everyone looks at him, "Seriously, Master Nyle?"

He looks confused, "Uh ... yeah."

They get surprised. Dylan starts explaining, "It's okay Nyle. That was three years ago. That title is given to a group of people or organization with six members, representing the six faces of a cube. It has been a custom here in Baudelaire High School to grant that title every year, but since there are some years when no one qualifies for it, the end result is that no one is also granted with the title.

Nyle nods as he absorbs the idea, "So there's a qualification. But what does the title signifies?"

"Let me tell it to you, Master Nyle!" Eumee eagerly offers while raising a finger. "Having that title requires some efforts for the development of this school. Those who are given that title must then be the role models inside the campus!" she explains with a big smile.

"If you're gonna look at it, majority of those who were given that title is the Student Council itself. It's no use. It's our obligation from the start, you see?" R says in a straight face.

"Don't break the ice, R! Many students are striving to have that title!" Eumee protests.

"It's a lame name. Why would they want that?"

"No, it's not! It's a cool name! You get popular when you're granted with it!"

"What's popularity for?" he asks.

"Hey, R. Don't you think it's rude to fight with your junior?" Nyle tells him trying to cease the debate.

"Yeah. I thought it's your principle to take good care of your junior," Dylan adds, emphasizing that Eumee's his junior as well.

"Heh," he grunts. "Got it. Sorry Eumee."

===========

Japanese Lesson! To say "Sorry," you use the words "Gomen ne" or "Gomenasai." It is informal, though. "Gomen" is even more casual. It is used for family or friends, or when formality is not needed. "Sumimasen" is the simplest way to apologize. It also means "Excuse me."