Chapter 1: Baudelaire High School

Being alone is a difficult thing. What if there's also a feeling of being unwanted—a feeling that you don't belong to anything? You want to come in, but you're forced to move out.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Do I ever exist? I've lost the only one who believes in that—the only one who treated me like I'm part of this world. Will I ever meet this person again? Why is the world so cruel?"

>>FEIN (from the word "feign" meaning "sham, untrue, pretend")

©2012-19 by hiraite   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. [Multimedia: Nyle's photo]

===================================

 BAUDELAIRE'S CUBE   by hiraite

Chapter 1: Baudelaire High School

Distinct noise, continuous cheering, people gathered at a large area. It's the last day of the much-anticipated Sports Festival at the well-known Baudelaire High School but still, almost half of the student population is concentrated around the soccer field. They are excitedly watching the final match of the school's soccer games.

The score is currently in favor of Team A, a merge of all the players from all section As in the high school department. They are battling against Team D, and it's actually a merge of all players from all the section Ds. That is how they made the groupings of the team players. The good thing is, the best players from the school's infamous Soccer Club itself got the chance to battle against each other on the Sports Festival.

The sectioning in this school is randomized, and is strongly not based on academic grades. So if one is from section A, it doesn't necessarily mean he's all that intelligent. One may be classmates now but for the next year they may change sections. Because of this randomized system, students become scattered and they can have different batch of classmates every year. Some do not like the idea, but some actually enjoyed it.

The game is closing and the crowd is chanting, yelling and cheering for the team they desire to win. They are apparently looking forward to see who will win on this year's soccer games.

And the results got quite obvious. Team A is winning, yet the ball is currently handled by their very own star player.

"Goal!!! Team A wins!!!" the commentator announces gleefully.

It was already the sound of defeat for Team D as Team A jumps triumphantly. With this, Team A gets more cheers from the crowd.

"They're quite helpless. Team A's really strong," murmurs one from the crowd.

"Hell yeah! He's really good! We should have expected that!" another one agrees. He is talking about the star player from team A. And he is also considered as the best player from the school's Soccer Club.

The winning team celebrates their victory, happily carrying up the player who made all of their three goals.

"We're unfortunate. They got Nyle with them," says one from the losing team, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Naaah. We still did our best though. Even if the captain of the school's Soccer Club is with us, that guy is still their best scorer," the other shrugs.

Meanwhile on the crowd, there sits a guy who was only half watching the soccer game. He seems to be quite uninterested or maybe just a little bored.

"So that's Nyle, huh? He sure made their team win," he unenergetically murmurs.

"Sure he did, Bro! He even got his own fan club!"

He sighs. "Really? Well then, I better be going," he lazily says as he stands up.