Cole - Fifteen

15

Cole

I didn't think anything of it when I, half asleep, accepted a date with Amelia. To be honest I didn't even realize I wasn't asleep until like an hour later and replayed how it went down. She basically cornered me while I was making coffee, hoping it would stay at least kind of warm for Dylan when she woke up. Amelia snuck up behind me and just started talking about how we'd make a good match and all this crap, and to get her to stop talking I just said fine and okay a few times and before I knew it, I had a date.

I wasn't ready to fucking date, to get to know someone new from the start. Fuck that. Single life is the life for me. I had Dylan; I didn't need anyone else. It was even a joke when I asked Dylan to set me up with a dating profile. I knew she wouldn't which is why I joked about it.

Had Dylan. Had. I didn't realize me accepting a date would get to her at all. Until she yelled for me to talk to my date and it clicked. I ran after her as the door slammed in my face. I knocked on it lightly.

"Dylan, let me in." I tried the knob, locked. Fuck. "Please Dyl."

"No." I barely heard her through the door, and my heart tightened at her words.

"Please." I leaned my head up against the door.

"No Cole." I heard her sniffle; she was crying again. Damnit. I just wanted to hold her until she was no longer crying.

"Do you want me to leave?"

"Please." I hung my head, not realizing how much one word could hurt.

"Unlock the door so I can grab my keys and wallet please. I won't say anything I'll just grab them and go. If that's what you really want me to do." I was keeping my voice low. I heard the door click and turned the knob right away in case she changed her mind. "Dylan." I walked over to her, she was next to the bathroom door, no doubt about to lock herself in there till I left. "Wait." She stopped, her hand on the door about to push it closed. "Don't shut me out."

"Literally or figuratively?" I cracked a smile. Even her humor in horrible situations was perfectly placed.

"Both." I couldn't see her face but she hasn't closed the door yet. "Can we talk about it please?"

"You need to go home tonight Cole. I need to get my thoughts straight; I don't want to talk to you right now."

"Okay." I swallowed hard. "I'll leave..." I pushed open the bathroom door. "Just let me say bye please." She let go of the door and put her head down. I pulled her into my arms, even though for the first time she didn't put hers around me. It hurt, but I pushed through and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight Dyl." She sniffed and I heard her breakdown completely as I left the bathroom, and her bedroom, reluctantly.

"Uhm is she like okay?" Amelia asked. I shrugged.

"I'm going to go though. Can you make sure uh that all gets cleaned up please? I don't want it to go bad just because Dylan and I are fighting." She nodded.

"You two are fighting? Aren't y'all just friends and stuff?" I gave her a tight smile.

"See ya." Without another word I left.

I dodged my parents for the rest of the week. The one time I did run into them they instantly asked where Dylan was. Said they haven't seen or heard from her all week. I had, sort of. She brought leftovers and three quarters of a cheesecake and left it in the fridge in the office texted me that it was there and went back to not talking to me.

That was Wednesday. It's now Saturday and I haven't heard from her, like our text thread is all me at least 100 times in a row. We're supposed to be going to a party at my buddy Jordan's and I don't really want to go unless she's going to be there. Jordan would kill me if I didn't show up though.