Chapter Seventeen: Stealing the Spotlight

Start from the beginning

These people could frown or throw glances in her way but she wouldn't care. All she needed to care about right now was Chenle's safety.

He was insane for storming towards their target like that, especially since they were unsure where his men were at. They might be scattered around the room, waiting for The Dragon's signal to attack.

As her chunky heels trod against the carpeted floor, she watched Chenle getting nearer and nearer to the man. Damn it, Chenle! She reached for her earpiece to call for the others' aid.

At this moment, Jeno had finished listening to the hotel guards' conversation and turned towards Xiaojun. "Xiaojun."

The latter just got finished talking to Renjun through the earpiece and acknowledged him. "What is it?"

"Something's wrong." Jeno told him. "I heard them talking about criminals on the loose." He jutted his chin towards the men in similar suits.

"What?" Xiaojun exclaimed, trying to minimize his voice, before following the direction Jeno pointed at. It took him two good seconds before he made eye contact with Jeno. "Do you think they're talking about The Dragon?"

"I highly doubt it." Jeno disagreed. "They claimed them as criminals. If they were to talk about that, it would mean as a group of people known for doing illegal things." Was his explanation. "And we know what group is infamous for that."

It wasn't that difficult for Xiaojun to understand what Jeno was saying, but when he did, he couldn't help but clench his jaw. "You've got to be kidding me."

Just as their conversation was about to end, they got interrupted by someone's voice through their earpieces. "Jeno, I need help."

It was from Koeun.

"Koeun?" Jeno frowned when he noticed how her breaths became heavy and her voice sounded in distress. "What happened?"

But before Koeun could speak, they got intervened by a slam of a lever switch somewhere in the room, followed by a sudden streak of light beaming towards the center of the room— the area where Koeun was on.

The disturbance caused everyone in the room to either gasp in surprise or avert their attention to the light, even to the boys.

"What was that?" Xiaojun blurted out as the two of them watched the light in the distance.

On the other hand, it caused Koeun to stop abruptly when the brightness almost blinded her. She lifted an arm up to cover her squinted eyes, but when she happened to see where it landed, she could only be frightened.

Chenle had also halted when he felt the light on him.

Koeun's mind was racing as she watched the scene unfold in front of her very eyes. What's happening? She was puzzled about why the lights had suddenly been set on him, but when the thought about The Dragon and his complicit entered her mind, she could only feel her heart pounding hard inside her chest.

No! Her eyes shook as she watched Chenle standing in confusion.

Looking up, Chenle had squinted his eyes towards the light, searching for the culprit behind it, when he heard Koeun yelling his name. "Chenle—"