Chapter 57: Warrior

Start from the beginning

Mom came in, “It’s time. Can I have a moment alone with my daughter?”

Anna hugged me, “I’ll see you out there.”

“Okay,” I smiled.

“How are you feeling?” Mom asked.

“Trying not to freak out with excitement.”

She laughed, “You’ve got this, D. You look beautiful. I’ve never seen anybody look this beautiful in my entire life.”

I hugged her, “I love you so much mom. I’m sorry I was such a terrible daughter before.”

“You were never a terrible daughter Demetria, you were just going through a rough time and that’s okay. You got through it and that’s what really matters. Now you’re getting married and starting the next chapter of your life. Visit often though okay?”

I nodded and smiled, “I promise I will. That’s why we’re not moving that far away.”

“Good,” she smiled, “Now let’s go downstairs so you can get married.”

“Okay,” I laughed.

            I walked in front of her while she made sure my dress did not get in the way while I went down the stairs. Mom led me outside so I was hidden behind a few trees with the rest of the bridesmaids. Everybody was already seated and Max was waiting at the end of the aisle. I tried to take deep breaths, but now my nerves have completely shifted to excitement. How did I get myself into this? How did this happen? This is crazy. Eventually the music started and the bridesmaids made their way down the aisle until Anna went and it was finally my turn.

“You ready?” Dad asked me.

I nodded, “I think so.”

“You look beautiful,” he told me.

“Thank you,” I smiled at him.

            I linked my arms with dad and we finally made our way down the aisle. I looked up and spotted Max as we started walking. Everybody stood up but I was focused on Max. He smiled as soon as he saw me and I did the same thing. Before I knew it dad handed me over to him and the ceremony started. I was so excited I felt like I was shaking and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I tried to pay attention to the pastor so I could say my vows and repeat when I needed to, but the rest of it was a blur. I barely noticed anybody else watching just like Aunt Demi told me about. When the ceremony ending and the pastor announced us as married Max took my face in his hands and kissed me. I still didn’t notice the audience but I’m sure they were smiling and clapping for us. Too quickly Max pulled away and put his arm around me so we could face our family members. I finally turned and saw both of our families watching us and clapping. My parents and my aunts and uncles all had tears in their eyes. I glanced over at Max’s family and they seemed to be crying too. We led the way back down the aisle and stopped with the bridesmaids and groomsmen in the garden where the photographer was going to take pictures. The pictures only lasted five or ten minutes. The photographer made sure to take pictures of everybody separately and together before we were released to go to the party.

I kissed Max quickly, “I have to change into my other dress.”

“You’re leaving already?”

I laughed, “I’ll be right back I promise.”

“Okay,” he smiled, “I’ll wait here.”

“Thank you. Anna?”

“Yeah,” she turned as she was walking past us.

“Can you help me change into my other dress?”

“Of course, let’s go up to your room.”

            Secretly I’ve been practicing and rehearsing a song in the same amount of time it has taken us to plan this wedding. I was inspired by my relationship with Max and something my family said to me struck a song idea. I guess I was also inspired by my dad when he performed his song for mom at their anniversary party. So today I am going to perform a song for Max. Anna helped me change into my other dress and we made our way back down to the party. I went back to Max and held his hand as we made our way around the room to say hello to everybody.  When it was time to eat we were the first to eat and sat at a table with the rest of the bridesmaids and groomsmen.