Chapter 12: Every Time You Lie

Demi Lovato Fan Fiction

Book 1: It Was A Mistake But I am Unbroken Now

Book 2: Here We Go Again When Two Worlds Collide

Book 3: Love is Loud Enough to Stop Hate

Book 4: That's How You Know to Believe in Me

Book 5: Let it Go for the Gift of a Friend

Chapter 12: Every Time You Lie

The truth is all that I can hear

Every time you lie

I woke up the next morning

With a smile on my face

And a long list of gentlemen.

“Mom?” I sat down next to her as she sat on the beach.

“Hey D,” she smiled.

“I know this happened a long time ago, but I don’t think I can completely move on until I get all the answers.”

“Is it about my sister?”

I nodded, “Why didn’t you tell us about her?”

Mom sighed, “I had a lot of reasons, but the main one was because I wanted to forget about her. Alicia was so messed up. Alicia did drugs, alcohol, and probably more that I don’t know of. Your Aunt Demi had to introduce herself to Alicia three or four times because Alicia couldn’t remember meeting her. There were holes in her memory and she didn’t remember much. I cut her off a year or two after I graduated high school. Then I let her back in hoping to help her, but it didn’t work because she was already in too deep. Alicia wasn’t like David and I. Jealousy got the best of her. I didn’t want my children to see that side of our family. I’ve probably said some of these things before, but I understand wanting answers. I would too if I were you and I’m sorry I lied about it for so long.”

“Did you love her?”

“Of course,” she nodded. “She’s my sister after all. Someone once told me that you have to love your family, but that doesn’t mean you like them. That’s what it was like with me and Alicia. She’s my sister and I love her, but I did not like her.”

“Did Grandpa Ben really shoot her?”

“Dad was protecting me. Alicia blamed everything on him when it was really her fault. She was trying to get rid of dad and I. He did what he had to do.”

“People say that he abused you.”

She nodded, “He did when I was younger. Mom left him and he tried to come back into my life when I was in high school. He gave me the ‘I’ve changed’ speech and I believed it. Alicia found out and got jealous so she made sure to get rid of him by making me believe he didn’t change.”

“But he did right?”

She smiled, “Yeah he did and he left me believing he was doing the right thing. He came back again to protect me from Alicia.”

“Mom, when I read your book… I don’t know… you seemed so broken in high school.”

“I was, but I wasn’t just broken; I was numb. I grew so tired of the bullying that I let myself become numb to it. The self-harming was a way of punishing me because I thought I deserved it.”

I swallowed, taking a deep breath trying to stop myself from crying, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I hoped that by keeping it from you that you would get the life I didn’t have growing up.”