Part 13

"Jake, what are we doing here?" I asked awkwardly, looking around at the many eyes watching my brother and I. After Seth's comment yesterday, Jake had insisted on checking up on Bella and whether she was still herself or not. Paul wouldn't let me go without him, so he was seated in his truck, situated nearby in the parking lot. Jake, on the other hand, decided to park his bike and wait right in front of the main staircase of Forks High School.

I wrinkled my nose as a familiar black Volvo drove into a stall. Edward got out first, probably to see if it was safe. But Bella followed immediately after him and rushed towards Jake.

"Hey," Bella said, her eyes flickered towards me for a second, but I avoided eye contact by all means.

"Heard you left town," Jake said smoothly.

"Yeah, I went to visit my mom. Why?"

"He's checking to see if you're still human," Edward said, chuckling as he read Jake's thoughts.

"Look, we're here to warn you. If your kind comes on our land again..."

"Wait, what?" Bella asked. Edward's eyes flashed for the second.

"You didn't tell her?" I asked, looking accusingly at Edward.

"Just leave it alone," Edward said dismissively.

"Tell me what?"

"Emmett and Paul had a misunderstanding," Edward said. "It's nothing to worry about."

"A misunderstanding to you, at least," I said under my breath. "Your brother almost broke the treaty."

"Listen to you. Did you lie to get her out of town, too?" Jake added.

"You two should leave. Now." Edward said, taking a step towards Jake.

"She had a right to know," Jake said. "She is the one the redhead wants."

"Victoria?" Bella said, finally putting everything together. "Alice's vision..."

"I was trying to protect you."

"By lying to me. Okay, we're gonna talk about this, but... You." Bella turned towards Jake. "Why haven't you called me back?"

"I had nothing to say."

"Well I have tons." Jake rolled his eyes and walked towards his motorcycle. "Wait, hold on!"

"Edward, you have to trust me," Bella said, before getting on the back of Jake's bike. I gave Edward one last glare before walking back towards Paul's truck.

"Did he touch you?" Paul asked as soon as I entered the truck. He looked me over protectively to make sure I was okay.

"No, but Jake's driving Bella to Emmy's house now," I said. Paul nodded, giving me a quick peck on the lips before he started his truck.

"So, we've been pretty busy running patrol lately," Paul said suddenly. "Since we have a free night tonight, I was wondering if you wanted to sleep over at my house? We could watch a movie and order pizz-"

"That sounds wonderful," I said, cutting Paul off as he started to ramble, giving his hand a tight squeeze of reassurance.

Twenty minutes later, Paul managed to pull into the driveway of Emily's house right after Jake and Bella. As soon as the rest of the Pack heard, they ran out, each finishing off the meat of a chicken bone. I heard Paul's stomach rumble.

"Hey, look who's back!" Embry exclaimed.

"What up, Bella," Quil said.

"Quil? You too?"

"Yep! Finally made the pack."

"I'm glad you're here, Bella. Maybe we can get a break from Jake's obsessive inner monologue."

"I wish Bella would call," Quil said, mimicking Jake's thoughts.

"I wish Bella wouldn't call," Jared added.

"Maybe I should call Bella?" Embry laughed.

"Maybe I should call Bella and hang up," Paul said with a grin, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. We all broke into a fit of laughter.

"All right, you can shut up now," Jake griped.

"Is there any chicken left?" Paul asked, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before running into the house with Jared. On his way in, they almost ran into Leah, who glared at the two men who pushed their way into the house.

"Bella, this is Leah Clearwater," Jake introduced, his voice going monotone. "Harry's daughter."

"Hey, I'm really sorry about your father," Bella said.

"If you're here to torture Jacob some more, feel free to leave."

"Fun, isn't she?" Jake scoffed.

"Did you want me to go after her?" I asked, as Emily and Sam came out of the house to greet Bella.

"It's okay, just let her be," Emily said sadly, watching her cousin phase and run into the forest.

***

After Jake took Bella back home, we stayed at Emily's for a few hours. When Sam and Embry left to run patrol, Paul and I took it as our cue to leave. Paul drove us to the small house that he and his Dad lived in near the edge of La Push.

"Dad's working the night shift tonight. He won't be home until tomorrow." He placed his large hand on the small of my back as he led me into the doorway. We settled onto the plush couch in the living room as Paul turned on the television and lazily skimmed through the channels. "So, what did you want to watch?"

"Anything is okay," I murmured. My head was planted firmly against Paul's bare chest and I felt my body relax as I listened to his heartbeat. Paul sighed in content as he gently ran his hands through my hair, which Emily had cut short a few days ago. He let his fingers fall to my chin, causing me to look up at him just before he crashed his lips into mine. Paul's hands moved down, before stopping on my waist, rearranging our bodies so I lay on top of him. Our kisses quickly grew more heated, as Paul's touch caused my skin to feel like it was on fire. Paul pulled apart for a moment, resting our foreheads together.

"Baby, I don't want you to do anything you're not ready for," he said in between heavy breaths.

"Paul, I love you. As long as it's with you, I'm ready," I responded.

"What did you say?" Paul asked slowly.

"I'm ready?" I asked hesitantly.

"No, before that."

"I love you," I said with complete honesty. I could see Paul's eyes widen ever so slightly as his jaw slacked before a smile grew on his lips.

"I love you too," Paul breathed out. It sounded so natural; I couldn't help but grin. Before I knew it, Paul's lips had reclaimed mine as he lifted my body up and carried me to his bedroom. My shirt went missing, followed by Paul's shorts. Just as Paul was kissing down my neck, we both heard a howl cut through the night air. The sound was distinct and urgent, and we both knew it was my brother.

"You've got to be kidding me," Paul growled. As we exited the house, Paul slammed the door behind him, almost causing the door frame to break. "This better be good Black," Paul snarled into the mind link to my brother after we shifted.

"There was a blood sucker in Bella's room."