Part 9

Jake ended up catching a ride with Paul and I back to the reservation. He sat in the back of Paul's truck groaning every few minutes and clutching his head in pain.

"Paul, what's happening?" I whispered forcefully to the male seated in the driver's seat next to me.

"His body is preparing for the transformation," Paul murmured quietly to me, holding my hand with his right hand as he steered his truck with his left. "His bones are lengthening, and his senses are heightening. Once he transforms, the pain will go away. Just don't get him upset. I'd like my truck to remain intact." He smirked.

"Why don't you keep your hands off my sister." Jacob said, noticing that Paul and I were holding hands. He groaned as his body started shaking. "What is happening to me?" He groaned, clutching his head again.

"You'll understand soon," Paul mused. "Just try your best and calm down, we're almost back at the Rez." Jacob took a few deep breaths and the shaking stopping.

For the next day, Jake was in constant pain. Dad and I took turns picking out bags of frozen vegetables from the freezer to use as ice packs. It helped a little, but with Jake's high body temperature, they defrosted within a matter of minutes.

"Bella called earlier," Dad muttered. Jake had fallen asleep, giving us a few minutes of down time before he woke up from the pain again.

"That's the third time today," I sighed. "What'd you tell her?"

"Said it's a bout of mono. Had to tell her something that's highly contagious, you know. So she doesn't come and try visiting him." I smiled gratefully at him before turning to look outside our window, a familiar flash of grey catching my attention. Paul and the rest of the pack were constantly outside our house in their wolf forms, just in case Jake were to transform. I felt myself smiling at the giant grey wolf who was looking back at me from the forest line but was interrupted by the chime of my cell phone.

"Hey Bella," I greeted uneasily.

"Jacey," she breathed out in relief. "Is Jake okay?"

"He's pretty sick, Bells..."

"I just wanted to apologize to him about what I said at the movies. Do you think you can tell him?"

"Yeah, I'll let him know."

"Thanks," Bella said, sounding disheartened before ending the call.

"Was that Bella?" Jacob groaned from the entrance to the kitchen. Since last night, he had grown at least six inches taller, and now he barely fit through the doorway.

"Yeah, she wanted to apologize for last night."

"Why didn't you let me talk to her?" He yelled angrily, his body beginning to tremble like it did in Paul's truck.

"Jacob, calm down," Dad warned.

"I finally have Bella to myself and you're just getting in the way!" Jacob roared; his entire body began to shake violently. "I've got to see her," he stumbled outside towards the truck.

"Jacey," Paul shouted suddenly, running up to me. "Get back," he pushed me behind him, standing protectively in front of me just in time to hear Jacob's clothes rip. As I looked around Paul, I saw a huge russet brown wolf where Jake had been standing.

***

It had been a few weeks since Jacob first phased. Thankfully he had taken to his wolf form and everything came almost naturally to him. Since our Grandfather had been Alpha, he was expected to take back the position. However, he unexpectedly declined, allowing Sam to keep the spot as leader of the pack. He also understood what happened with Embry and accepted my apology. I finally had my brother back, and all we had to wait for was Quil to phase for us all to be together as friends again.

Dad had been spending more time with Harry Clearwater and Charlie Swan, so the house was often empty. Ever since Jacob joined the pack, I spent more time with Emily and Kim, especially when the boys were off running patrol.

"Hey Emmy, whatcha making?" I asked, walking into Emily and Sam's house, seeing the russet-skinned woman behind the counter stirring a bowl of batter.

"Blueberry muffins," she smiled.

"What can I do to help?"

"These should be almost done, could you plate these? Everyone should be coming back soon." I nodded and begun to carefully remove two full muffin pans out of the oven. They smelled heavenly. Once I had finished plating the last muffin, I heard the sound of a truck pulling in, followed by the hoots of Embry and Jared.

"Are you guys hungry?" Emily asked as the two walked in, their eyes immediately drawn to the plate of muffins. "Like I have to ask," she chuckled. Emily's back was turned to the door, so she didn't see Bella walk awkwardly into the house.

"Bella!" I exclaimed, engulfing her in a hug.

"Bella Swan? So you're the vampire girl Jacob is always talking about?" Emily said with a knowing smile.

"So, you're the wolf girl?" Bella countered.

"Guess so," Emily chuckled. "Well, I'm engaged to one."

"Embry, don't eat all the muffins," I exclaimed, swatting Embry's hand away from the plate as he reached out to grab a third. I sighed, grabbing the plate and holding it out to Bella. "You've got to try one, they're delicious."

"Sure, thanks." Bella took one of the muffins and immediately took a bite. "Wow, these are so good."

"Leave it to Jacob to get around Sam's gag order," Emily grinned to me.

"He didn't say anything," Bella said suddenly.

"It's a wolf thing. Alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want them to or not," Jared said through a mouthful of muffin.

"Ew, gross Jared. How can Kim put up with you?" I joked, tossing him a napkin across the table.

"And check it out. We can hear each other's thoughts," Embry grinned.

"Would you shut up? These are trade secrets. Damn it!" Jared scowled. "This chick runs with vampires."

"You can't really run with vampires... Cause they're fast," Bella said.

"Yeah? Well we're faster," Jared said with a smug grin. "Freaked out yet?"

"You're not the only monsters I've met."

"Jake's right. You're good with weird," Sam said as he walked into the house. He immediately pulled Emily into a hug, kissing her softly on the lips before showering her cheeks with quick pecks. Emily giggled.

"Is Jacob okay? Maybe we should go back and check up on him?"

"Nah, I hope Paul sinks some teeth into him. Serves him right," Jared said. Looking around for a moment before sneaking a third muffin from the plate.

"No way, Jacob's a natural," Embry defended. "I got five says Paul doesn't touch him."

"What did Paul do this time?" I asked. Jared was about to speak, but the door opened, revealing the two missing members of the pack. Paul pushed Jacob playfully through the door before he walked straight to the table, taking the last open seat and scooping me onto his lap. "Bella, I assume you met Paul?" Paul looked over his shoulder at Bella for a moment.

"Nice to meet you. Sorry about earlier," he said with a quick grin before turning back towards me.

As the boys fought over the last few muffins, Jake took a walk with Bella to explain everything to her. Paul managed to grab one when Jared was distracted and handed it to me.

"I know these are your favorite," he said, wrapping his arms back around my waist and nuzzling his nose into my neck.

"Wait, Paul is sharing??" Jared exclaimed in fake shock. The table erupted in laughter.

"Did you hear Jacob visited Bella last night?" Embry said suddenly towards me. "He was hoping that it would be the night, but he didn't imprint." I felt Paul's body tense.

"Imprinting?" I asked. "What's that?"