Chapter 28 - Blurry

Start from the beginning

I think it's probably because Simon congratulated me on doing my job so well that I'm so struck by the realisation I had started to forget that. I've been doing a job the whole time and not a conventional job, so I can't miss Liam. And it's a job I didn't even want at first, a job I hated but just accepted because of my father's sake.

This is so messed up.

"You sure? Because you don't look fine," she says at the same time the barista calls for our names. Our orders are ready.

Yes, we came for coffee at the cafeteria there's available at the label's headquarters to have a chat. My dad had already mentioned how Ariel is always working and she only goes out with Harry and sometimes with Niall, who're apparently her only friends. He's a bit worried so he also asked me if I could spend some more time with the singer because she also needs some girl friend. I've never been interested in making friends and I know Ariel is very different from me, but I actually like the idea of befriending her.

"Once I get my coffee I'll be all right, don't worry," I say walking up to get both my and her cup.

"I might not be good at talking," she says with a shy smile, "But I'm good at listening. In case you need it."

I smile honestly at her because it actually means a lot. I'm used to deal with everything on my own without having someone to rely on. I have my father, but well, he was the one who was always relying on me and I was the one holding him. I've never had a friend—or someone for what matters—who could help me or at least listen to me.

Maybe I should give this a shot.

"It's about Liam," I say and she smiles happily when she realises I'm actually trusting her on this. "Now that we are getting along it's started to feel less like a job and that worries me."

"Do you like him? As a person, I mean. You seemed like you hated him before. I remember your face when you said his name," she recalls and I chuckle. My face probably exposed utter disgust.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, he's not terrible and we can have a good time. We still fight sometimes, but it's not like I want to rip his eyes out anymore," I explain and my wording makes Ariel laugh.

"That's a bit aggressive," she mumbles. "You don't want to like him? But isn't it better if you two get along so the time spent together is more agreeable?" she questions and I sigh.

"I know, it's better if we have a good time than if we want to kill each other. That's not the problem." I take a deep breath before I say the rest. "The problem is that I might like him more than what I should."

Ariel doesn't say anything at first, thinking of what I've said and the implications of my words. When she finally gets it, her eyes widen and then a big smile appears on her face. Her eyes light up with excitement and she looks so young. "Oh, you mean you might fancy him!" she exclaims and I look down, feeling a bit embarrassed for talking about these things in this way. I feel too old for this, even if I'm only twenty-one. "But wouldn't it be lovely if you two end up falling for each other at the end of this? Like in those novels," she continues and I sigh.

"Yeah, I've read a few novels with that plot. But there's a difference here, Ariel. This is really serious, I signed a contract and I'm even getting paid for this. It's not just like my best friend asked me to pretend to be his girlfriend for some extremely-important-yet-crazily-stupid reason and we fall in love in the process. It's more complicated."

"Does the contract state that you can't see each other again after it ends?" she inquires and I have to stop to think about it.

"Um, well no—"