Chapter 25 - Boyfriend

Liam leans forward and grabs my hand giving me a tight squeeze, something that surprises me. His smile is still bright and his expression shows sheer relief, but I can only blink as I watch him. Then he grabs my hand with both of his and takes it to his lips, leaving a kiss on my knuckles. I gasp and try to pull back, but he holds my hand tighter.

"Thank you, Belle. I know I haven't been the best with you and I'm sorry. I promise you I'll try harder now that you've given me a second chance," he says but I don't know if I'm too dumbfounded or what, because his words make no sense.

"You don't need to do this," I tell him, still trying to get him off of me but he doesn't let me go. "Liam, please."

"I mean it, Belle. I'll be exactly what you want me to be," he says and I get annoyed, not only because he doesn't let go of my hand, but because of his words.

"Don't push it, Liam. I don't need you to charm me or try to be my perfect man. That's not necessary and I don't want it. You don't have to be what I want. Just be yourself but be considerate, for everyone's sake, not just mine. You treat everyone as if they were rubbish, that's why I got pissed. Because you didn't consider your sister's feelings, because you didn't think of your family. You only thought of yourself and you won't get anywhere like that. You don't have to be what others want because that's faking, and faking only leads to emptiness. Are you okay with that? Do you really prefer people liking you for what you're not instead for what you really are?" I look away and take a deep breath.

Why is that Liam always makes me raise my voice and get all agitated? I try to stay cold and distant, but I always end up lecturing him on something. I choose not to interact, to stay away from people and meaningless relationships but here I am, telling Liam how to avoid exactly what I don't even bother to consider, as if I had some meaningful relationship at all. Why do I try to teach him the differences in interactions when I can't even bother to make a real friend?

My words surprise him because he looses up the grip and I get my hand back.

"If you're so desperate for people's acknowledgment and approval, then be truthful to them. Be considerate, don't be a fake," I conclude in a calmer voice and he only stares at me, hopefully thinking of what I'm saying instead of just letting the words go with the wind.

"How can you— never mind. I'll try," he says but his expression is confused and I wonder if he really understands and notices the difference between being considerate and being someone else's preference.

I take a deep sigh, remembering that I've decided to take his apology and a different approach. No more fighting, no more reminding him it's a deal. I have to do my best and get along with him. Stay cool and collected.

Now I'm lean in and take his hand to give an encouraging squeeze. "It's okay, I'll help you in what I can. I haven't been easy on you either and I accept my share of responsibility. I'll try to make things easier between us, too," I tell him and his expression softens. "Let's try to get along, okay? For our own sake," I propose next and he thinks about it instead of immediately agreeing, so I smile to tell him I mean it. I don't want to fight for other five months, I certainly refuse to live with a constant headache, so this is the best way we can approach the situation.

"Deal," he says with his own smile. Not the arrogant and playful one, not the sarcastic one, not the patronising one. This smile is sweet and kind and suits him better than any other type of smile. When I see him smiling like this I actually believe we can get along. I don't mean we'll like each other, but at least we won't hate each other's guts.

"Then now I want to invite you somewhere." Liam raises his eyebrows in an interested mannerism that invites me to continue. "We are putting a fair with my students for the parents, to show the progress so far. Would you like to come and see?"