16

Spiderwebs were all around the corners of her room, just as Annabeth had once described it to me. Spiders would come and inflict her room just to haunt her.

And who did she fear most? The one person she'd faced and even killed? The one who hated her for saving the Athena Parthenos?

Arachne.

It was her, I was certain of it. She must've regenerated faster than I'd thought, or hoped.
She had taken Annabeth. Or at least her henchmen—spiders. They must've as a revenge for her finally freeing the Athena Parthenos.

Spiders had always hated Annabeth and now they'd finally come to finish the job. Who else would go after her with an A name? And the spiderwebs—those were a warning.

I rushed back to the guest room and shook Grover awake, who seemed less than thrilled about being awoken.

"Wasdamatter?" Grover sputtered as she slowly opened his eyes, glaring at me like I'd just murdered someone.

"I figured out who A is," I said excitedly, causing Grover to instantly sit up and rub his eyes.

His eyes widened and I could tell he was now fully awake. "Who is it?"

"It's Arachne," I said, fairly confident. "It has to be. It makes sense. The spiderwebs in Annabeth's room, her hatred of children of Athena, and how Annabeth rescued the Athena Parthenos. It all makes sense now!"

Grover nodded as he slowly got out of bed and stretched as he walked about the room. "You're right...but where is she now? And where is Annabeth? In Rome? Isn't that where you guys found the Athena Parthenos?"

I shrugged. "Yes, but the statue isn't there anymore, it's at camp. And we weren't the ones who brought it there...it was Reyna, Nico, and Coach Hedge."

"Well, we should go back to Camp Jupiter," Grover suggested. "Ask Reyna more about the Athena Parthenos."

"Okay, let's go then," I said as I swung my backpack over my shoulder. "No time like the present."

Grover peered around the room and didn't move. "But, Percy, what about the Chase's—?"

I shook my head as I tried to neatly remake the bed with little to no success. "No time to wait for them to wake up. The sooner we find Reyna, the better."

"But they were so nice, and if we just leave they'll be worried—"

"We'll right a note," I shot back, interrupting him. "We just need to get going. We finally have a lead!"

Grover sighed and reluctantly helped me write out a note that he placed on his bed before cautiously following me out of the house.

"I'll drive," I told Grover as we headed out towards the car. "You're way too worked up."

I didn't argue as my hands wouldn't stop shaking. They hadn't since I had figured out who A was.

"Where are you two going?!"

We turned to see Mr.Chase, standing at the edge of his garage, wearing a robe and a frown and holding a flashlight pointed directly at us.

"How did you know we'd left?" I questioned, not moving a muscle. Grover followed my lead.

"Our security system alerted me that someone had opened the front door so I came to investigate," Mr.Chase responded. "Why are you two leaving? Where are you going? You... you have to stay here!"

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "Mr.Chase, it's Annabeth. She's been taken by Arachne, we just figured it out. So we need to go. And quickly."

Mr.Chase stared at me, his eyes full of fear. No one spoke for what seemed like hours. He finally nodded. "Alright, then. I'll just tell Helen you two must've snuck away. Just....please tell Annabeth to come home once you've found her, alright?"

"I...I will, sir," I replied. "Thank you."