Chapter 8: Icecream

Rule number one when you have a boyfriends (even a fake one) and your parents know about him,he comes over often.

Mew and Gulf got into an easy routine of visiting each other. Sundays and Tuesdays Gulf came over to Mews house, Wednesdays and Fridays Mew went over to Gulf's. In between were the dinners.

They fell into an easy rhythm, and two weeks passed away in a blink. Most of the time, they spent it by studying and working through their assignments. They would talk in between, as they snacked and took breaks.

It was oddly fun talking to Gulf even when he didn't say much. But you could tell he was listening, and paying attention to the words Mew spoke. He could almost feel the trickle of words flow from his mouth and into Gulf's mind.

But even thought they hung out in Mew's room....

Gulf never showed him to his room, just the connecting sitting area, the kind you use to entertain a guest rather than a boyfriend. But Mew didn't want to push Gulf in any way, not after what he'd found out last time.

He had wanted to apologise for two weeks now but he could do nothing but stutter at the mere thought of it. How does one approach such a topic?

Mew was feeling very guilt-ridden.

Finally resolved, he decided to make it up to Gulf.

---

Gulf had just washed after his soccer practice and was leaving with his friend, when he spotted Mew's car. What was he doing here?

Gulf pulled out his phone to check for any messages, and sure enough he found one from Mew.

"Are you free after practice?" Gulf simply read the message and frowned. Did they have anything planned for Today?

"Sure." Texted Gulf.

"Something's came up and I have to go." Gulf told Bright, his friend.

"But dude, you promised!" Said Bright slinging his arm around Gulf's shoulder.

" I'll treat you next time." Gulf said knowing that free food was the way to go with Bright.

Bright let go as quick as lightening. " You better be on your way then.....and you better treat me to something good."

Gulf smiled back at his friend. "Sure." He said.

Gulf made his way towards and climbed into Mew's car.

" Who was that?" Asked Mew.

" Bright."

" and he is....?" Prompted Mew.

" A friend."

"Ok." Said Mew, looking up at what Gulf thought to be his forehead. Did he have something there?

Mew reached over and touched a strand of his wet hair. "Did you just take a shower?"

"Yeah."

" You should've dried your hair before coming out, or you'll get sick."

" I forgot my towel at home."

Mew reached over into his own duffle bag and grabbed a clean towel. He handed it to Gulf.

"Thanks." Gulf mouthed in a soft hushed voice as he began drying his hair.

The ride consisted mainly of Mew driving and the sound of Gulf drying his hair.

Gulf didn't know when he had fallen asleep, but when the towel slipped off his face waking him up from his slumber, it was already dark. He was also still inside Mew's car. While he was sleeping, Mew was sitting quietly working and studying.

"Sorry, I dozed off."

"It's okay. You looked tired."

"Yeah."

"So do you want some ice cream?" Suggested Mew.

"Ice cream?"

" Your sister told me it was your favourite."

"It is, but why-" Gulf suddenly went silent. Sighing he asked "What else did she tell you?"

"Nothing." Mew lied, but Gulf simply stayed silent giving him the "I don't believe that, for one second" look.

"She might've let slip one thing."

"And that is?"

" Actually that's what I wanted to talk about, I wanted to apologize-" Mew was suddenly cut by Gulf.

" So she told you I fainted?"

" Yeah...."

" It's fine. Whatever happens in my own time is my issue, and mine alone."

"I.....I...." Mew couldn't get the words to come out of his mouth.

Had Gulf always been this blunt?

He took a deep breath, stealing his nerves. He reached over touching the scar that now replaced the previous scab on his eyebrow, looking straight into his eyes.

" I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry. For this." He said caressing the scar above his eye " And for everything. No, this is not your problem alone. I know I've been an asshole, but you have done nothing but help me, and it's the minimum I can do. After all we're in this together, even if it's only acting."

Gulf was shocked beyond words. He couldn't swallow, he couldn't even speak. This felt way too intense, everything he said, the way he said it. Those combined with the warmth passing from his fingers and into Gulf's cheeks stole Gulf's breath away. What in the world was wrong with Mew?

Mew quickly withdrew his hand staring ahead, waiting for Gulf's response. " Ok, I guess."

"So will ice cream do the trick, is it enough for you to forgive me?"

" It's more than enough." Stated Gulf smiling back at Mew. Well this wasn't half bad, it would be easier getting along with Mew if he was nicer, so this was a win-win.

Mew smiled back. Until he noticed the mischievous look in Gulf's eyes, one he had come to know recently. "What?"

Gulf raised three fingers to Mew. Mew titled his head in confusion. " Three scoops and a waffle cone."

Mew couldn't help laughing. Three scoops and a waffle cone was all it took for Gulf to forgive him. It was so simple, yet it was so like Gulf.

With such a heavy burden off his shoulders, Mew sat there watching as Gulf picked out what he wanted with care. Agonising over which flavours to get.

Only when he was happily munching away at his ice cream, did he realize Mew hadn't gotten any. He passed over his cone to Mew.

"What?"

" Have some."

" No, it's yours. Plus it's my apology."

"Apologies are better when shared."

Mew really couldn't disagree with that, especially when refusing Gulf's offer felt like an abomination to all ice cream lovers. So he complied, tasting it, and handing it back to Gulf.

They shared the ice cream back and forth, enjoying their small talk, the feeling of the cool air, and a common sense of comradery.

The air had shifted between them, they were no longer strangers. They were allies.

~
~
~

A/N: This chapter was so much fun to write. Though I must admit at the end I started craving ice cream 🍦 so much, I went out and bought some 😳😂.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and see you in the next one~