Part Forty.

The room was dark and cold, closed off from the rest of the house... Leo hesitantly slipped under the sheets, the smooth fabric feeling foreign against his skin. He was watching the door with an almost nervous expression, his heart was still pounding hard in his chest. 

Georgina had caught them, and instead of throwing a fit or getting mad, she simply told Cristiano to "take him to the guest bedroom" and that they needed to have a "talk". Leo had tried to argue that he'd leave if it made her uncomfortable but she insisted he'd stay. At first, neither Cris nor Leo talked. They walked to the room in silence, walking at least a foot away from each other. Then, when they did reach the room and Leo turned to apologize, Cristiano pulled him into a hug. He didn't say anything, just held him tight. It was nice, Leo pulled away first and told him he'd be fine... It was partially true. Cris left the room shortly after and closed the door behind him... So now here Leo was. 

Alone.

In a guest bedroom of Cristiano's home.

He sighed and burrowed himself further into the soft squishy bed, pulling the blankets up and over him. The bed smelled nothing like Cris but that was expected, it was a guest bedroom after all. Leo honestly still felt up in the air, his heart telling him that he'd made the right choice, that his happiness was with Cris... But there was still that inkling of worry and fear, that maybe he'd made a mistake. He was scared.

Especially now, alone in this dark room, wondering if Gio and Cris were arguing or not. Had Leo ruined something? Of course he did, the guilt ate away at his insides as he pushed the memory of Anto's face away. He didn't want to remember her, not right now, he wasn't ready for that... Maybe tomorrow morning, just not now.

He actually just wanted to hold Cristiano in his arms, pull him so close that he could feel his heartbeat. Smell the sweet scent of whatever shampoo that he used that morning. Feel the soft skin on his body against Leo's own... The warmth that radiated off of him never failed to make Leo feel good.

He frowned and curled up further under the blankets, closing his eyes tight, just wanting to go to sleep... But it was to no avail. Sleep was not going to come any time soon, so he grabbed his phone and began to scroll through Instagram. A text notification appeared at the top of his screen and Leo was confused because it was from Cris...

*****

To: Leo

... can you come meet me in the front of the house please??

To: Cristiano

Outside?

To: Leo

Yes.

To: Cristiano

Was she mad?

To: Leo

Kind of.

To: Cristiano

Okay... She's not going to like... Yell at me when I leave the room right?

To: Leo

No.

To: Cristiano

Okay... I'm coming.

To: Leo

ok

*****

When he walked past Gio, she had her back turned. Her head bowed and she looked like she was typing something out on her phone... Leo frowned and walked faster towards the door, expecting any reaction from her but there were none. She stayed silent and still, not turning to glance at Leo once. He walked out and Cristiano was standing there, waiting for him.

"Close the door," he mumbled and Leo did. Not really sure what was happening, he cleared his throat nervous and stared down at his feet. They didn't speak for a moment, but Cris was the first to talk, breaking the silence. "She knew this whole time."

Leo looked over, that was not what he was expecting.

"W-what? How?" His mind was scrambled, how?

Cristiano chuckled a little and shook his head. He looked up to the sky and crossed his arms, "Junior told her... And on top of that, she said it was obvious. Said that it was plain as day and you'd have to be blind not to see it happening. I guess we weren't as secretive as we thought we were."

"So what does that mean?" Leo asked, still unsure about all of this. Cristiano shrugged and looked over, making eye contact with Leo.

"We broke up."

Leo bit his lip and looked down nervously, he'd honestly kind of expected that answer. It actually made what he was about to say a whole lot easier, he took a deep breath and kicked a tiny rock, watching it bounce away.

"Well, if it makes you feel better..." He looked up, meeting Cris' gaze. "I'm getting a divorce."

The moment he said it, he felt a weight being lifted off of him. The way Cris' mouth dropped open slightly, the sharp inhale of breath and the way his eyes lit up made it all worth it. Leo felt a corner of his lips turn up, he didn't regret this. How could he? When Cristiano was looking at him like that.

"Last I checked, divorces are worse than breaku-"

"Shut up Leo," Cristiano's voice wobbled and he let out a sob, a happy one Leo presumed as he was pulled into a tight embrace. He had to stand on his tip toes to fit comfortably against Cris, his arms wrapped around him squeezing gently. Leo laughed, needing to release the pure happiness that rushed through him. He belatedly realized he was crying too, but he didn't care. When Cristiano pulled back he grabbed Leo's face in his hands, leaning down to kiss him softly. The gentleness of it making Leo's heart skip a beat, he would never grow tired of this.

"Hey Cris?" Leo whispered, his voice cracked but neither of them commented on it. Cristiano hummed, nuzzling his nose against Leo's. The action reminding Leo of a cat showing affection, he smiled wide and kissed his way to Cris' ear. He whispered as quiet as possible, "I love you."

The whine that Cris let out was beyond adorable, it made Leo laugh a little, he felt Cris' hands slide down to his thighs to pick him up. Leo wrapped his legs around Cris again, their bodies fit together so well, so perfect.

"I love you too." Cristiano whispered back, pulling away so they were looking into each others eyes. Leo smiled, his face warm, the butterflies alive and well in his stomach. It was like everything finally came together, the universe finally clicked into place. They were soulmates, and it all made perfect sense now. They weren't completely okay by any means, they still had a few issues to resolve, but it was alright because they knew now that none of that mattered. 

"If the whole world hates us," Leo whispered watching as a smile lit up Cris' face. His message from a while ago, resurfacing in both of their minds.

"At least we have each other."

"That's all I need."

"Me too."

*****

And I oop-

The ending seems like a finale, doesn't it? 👀