Three | Backstory

SEVEN YEARS AGO

Six months, four weeks, and two days was how long it had taken to find a suitable jury for Walter Hardy's trial. He was a renowned cat burglar who had stolen over 4.4 million dollars worth of jewellery. Of those 4.4 million, only 4.2 million were recovered, and the rest had been declared missing by the state of New York.

"Court is now in session. All rise for the honourable Judge Bentley." a male bailiff announced, and everyone rose, waiting for the Judge, a tall thin woman with greying hair and piercing blue eyes to take her seat.

"Be seated." she said, and everyone sat back down. "We will now hear the opening statements from the plaintiff, Maxwell Deirdre, and the defendant, Walter Hardy.

"Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, this man, Walter Hardy, has been stealing from our beloved city of New York for over three years. My client saw Mr Hardy break into his jewellery store and steal a priceless diamond necklace which we later found in Mr Hardy's possession. By witness statements corroborating with my clients story. I intend to prove Mr Hardy guilty on all accounts, and put him away where he belongs for a very long time. That is all your honour." the prosecutor sat down, slicked back hair never moving an inch even as he moved around the courtroom before returning to his seat.

The next man to stand, the defence, was equally well-dressed, and he cleared his throat before speaking. "Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, my client, Walter Hardy is not a criminal. He has two children he needs to look after. He has never gotten a speeding ticket or a warning, why would he break a clean record now after all these years. He has an alibi that can be confirmed by his two daughters who were home at the time. That is all your honour."

"Walter Elias Hardy you have been charged with robbery, assault, resisting arrest, and aggravated robbery, which would result in twenty one years in prison. How do you plead."

"Innocent." Papa said, and Judge Bentley nodded.

"Would the prosecution call a witness?" the Judge asked, and the prosecutor, a man named Alan Guiles, stood.

"The prosecution calls Maxwell Deirdre to the stand." he said, leaning forward to speak into the mic.

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole and nothing but the truth?" the same bailiff from before asked, holding out a bible. Mr Deirdre put his hand on it, raising the other one.

"I do." he sat down, and Guiles walked over, straightening his tie.

"Mr Deirdre can you tell us what happened on the night of September the Fourteenth of 2009?" he asked, leaning on the witness stand casually.

"Well, I was closing up shop a little late because I had some paperwork to do, bills and such when I heard a noise from the front. That was around ten fifty nine. I waited a few minutes when I heard another noise so I went out to see what it was and I saw the defendant climbing out the front window, which was shattered. That was around eleven o' four. The window braking was the noise I heard, the second one I assumed was the case for the necklace. He had the necklace in hand and a black ski mask on."

"Well, if the defendant had the mask on how could you tell who it was?" Guiles asked, and I saw Felicia frown.

"Oh, so you see, I chased after the defendant to get the necklace back and I caught him in an alley two blocks away. We struggled, and when he dropped the necklace, I grabbed his mask off." Mr Deirdre explained.

"And can you point out who you saw?" Guiles asked, and Felicia gritted her teeth.

"Mr Hardy." the pasty balding man on the stand said, pointing to our father.