Twenty Nine | Midtown Tigers vs Manhattan High Falcons - The Final Quarter

I screwed everything up, with Peter, letting MJ and Harry get captured.

It was all my fault.

I messed things up with Peter, and instead of apologising properly like I should have in the first place, I made things worse. And then, to top it all off, I let myself get distracted. At least I'd resolved things with Peter.

I could barely hold onto the bridge on my own, I was exhausted from the fight with the Goblin, and the cord holding me and MJ hundreds of feet in the air had been damaged. I could feel my hand starting to slip, and the cord starting to break.

Whatever happened first would kill us both, and I couldn't let that happen.

Using the rest of my strength, I pulled MJ up and closed her hand around the cord holding us both up.

"You need to hold on okay?" MJ nodded frantically. "I can't hold on much longer so you need to hold on for me okay?"

"Wait, where are you going?" she yelped, though she hung on like I asked. "Hey, where are you going!?"

Giving her a strained smile, I answered: "Everything's gonna be okay, just hold on." And then I let go. Pushing away from the edge so I wouldn't hit the concrete barriers, I fell. The wind rushed through my hair whipping it into my face, and then

Peter was there.

I could hear him saying my name, and I turned to look at him.

"Peter, wait." Peter turned, the eyes of his suit narrowing. "I'm sorry, I messed up, and I'm really, really sorry. You, Peter Parker, are one of my best friends, and I would never regret starting that friendship with you, no matter what I said."

"Gwen,"

"I was frustrated, and I lashed out at you,"

"Gwen."

"You are always there for me, even when we were just getting to know each other and I didn't necessarily want you there." I was almost rambling, and I clearly hadn't noticed Peter trying to talk to me until he pulled off his mask.

"Gwen." I blinked, stopping my long rant of an apology. "It's fine," he smiled. "I said some pretty rude things to you as well, and I really regret them, and I know you regretted what you said but I needed some time to think, y'know?" Peter said, smiling his signature Peter smile, and I rushed forward to hug him.

"Thank you for forgiving me." I beamed, and then, growing serious: "Now let's go get our friends back."

We swung off together, and after a few moments in tense silence Peter spoke. "Was there more? To that apology?" he asked, and I sighed.

"Yes, there was, why?" I asked carefully; the bridge was drawing nearer.

"Can I hear it?" he asked, and then went on. "I mean later, of course, we have to rescue our friends right now, but yeah later."

I sighed, a long sigh that required an equally long inhalation of air, before answering. "It's the least I could do for you."

When we landed, for a few short seconds we thought the Goblin wasn't there, and then, on the bridge below us, everyone started screaming.

"We have to get down there!" I exclaimed, and Peter nodded.

We swung into action at the same time, leaping over the edge and anchoring ourselves with a web and a wire reinforced cord, respectively.

We were barely ten feet from the top, where we'd just been, when the Green Goblin, alone on his glider, flew just over our heads. I didn't understand what he'd done until I felt the cord drop a little. Next to me, Peter fell about two feet before he managed to pull himself to the wall and stick to it.