Twenty Two | Coney Island

Tight. That was how my chest felt. The water was murky and I could feel panic beginning to set in. All I had wanted was a fun day with Whitney and my uncle but Peter had been right. He had been right about everything. And I hadn't listened. The detached seat of the Astro Tower had flown too far for this to be an accident, and even as I struggled to free myself from the safety restraint I knew I was too far down to reach the surface in time. The only thing I could do was hope no one else died.

000

Three Hours Earlier

000

I ignored Peter's numerous protests as I tried to rebraid my hair like Harry had.

"Look I know you don't trust either of them, and I know my uncle coming along was last minute but please just give them a chance. Whitney was my best friend when I was a child! You might have seen her hanging out with me, she had short black hair, she kinda just looked the same as she does now...?" I glanced over my shoulder at Peter to see if he recognised my description and he gave a slight shake of his head.

"And my uncle... Peter, he's my uncle, you have to give him a chance..." I said, frowning at him pleadingly.

"Gwen, you have to listen to me!" Peter begged, and I turned, folding my arms. "What." I demanded.

Peter opened his mouth to say something, but Whitney opened the door and he clamped it shut.

"I'm gonna come with you to Coney Island." he said stubbornly, and I gave him a confused smile.

"Oh, that's great." something was lacking in Whitney's voice, but I couldn't place it, so I brushed it off, following her and Peter out of the room.

As we walked out of my apartment, locking it behind us, I couldn't help but wonder what Peter had been going to say.

000

Eighteen Hours Earlier

000

When school ended Gwen was the first one out the door, chatting with MJ about Thanksgiving. I hurried to catch up, hoping we could get some investigating done, but I was hampered by Ned pulling me aside with an 'urgent matter'.

"Dude, we've been best friends for years, so don't even try to lie about this." Ned started, and I frowned. "Do you like MJ?"

My face turned bright red and Ned's jaw dropped.

"Look- just! Just don't, don't tell her okay?" I said, lowering my voice and Ned nodded.

"You could ask her over for Thanksgiving." he suggested, and I shook my head, trying to calm my blush.

"No, that's ridiculous..." I muttered, and Ned laughed through his nose, shaking his head.

"Alright well, have a good weekend, and if you ever need me to, you know." Ned began. "Guy in the chair," he mouthed, and I chuckled.

I turned on my heel and hurried off, I needed to find Gwen. I had an idea of where to search next in our investigation but it required Gwen's help.

Rehearsing the plan in my head I hurried through the thinning crowd of people to find Gwen and I spotted her a few feet away, staring down at her phone, silvery hair hanging in a curtain to protect it from view.