Fifteen | Unread Files

I waved goodbye to Peter, closing the door behind me, heading straight for my room. I pulled the shades and closed the door, dragging the file out from under my bed and opening it. Once I got looking through the files I started to notice most of it was just legal documents which I didn't read through, setting them aside for later. There were a couple of new paper articles on the trial and what was going on, but so far, other than that I had nothing. I set aside the document I had been reading, the paperwork for the investigation into my fathers death, there hadn't been any new information, and moved to the next one. 

I still hadn't had any luck in finding out who killed my father, but I was starting to wonder if I should've broken into the prison records office instead. That would have been a lot more dangerous than breaking into a police office however. I sighed, setting down the files I had been holding and leaned back against the side of my bed frustratedly. My investigation was nothing but theories thus far, and it irked me to no end that the police hadn't released who killed my dad. Halloween was only a week away and I felt bad Liz had to move right before the holiday. It was getting around the time where I would have to figure out what costume I'd be wearing to Trick-Or-Treat. Ignoring the files scattered around me, I sighed, knowing I'd probably end up wearing the Black Cat costume since no one would be able to figure it out.

Changing the subject back to my research, I picked up one of the new clippings about my father, noticing it wasn't about the trial.

"Stark Industries employee fired." I read, wondering why this was in a folder about my father. "Stark Industries employee Walter Hardy was fired form his job..." I trailed off, mouth dropping open. I remembered Dad having to get a new job after being fired from his old one (which had apparently been at Stark Industries).

A loud knock sounded throughout my apartment, and I jumped, pocketing the article. I scraped everything under my bed hurriedly, still wondering what my dads job working for Mr Stark could have been, as I walked out of my room. I opened the front door, peering out to see Peter standing there looking guilty.

"Uhhh, hey Parker. What's up?" I asked, leaning causally against the door frame.

"May found out about the Spider." Peter said, and I frowned. I opened the door the rest of the way and Peter stepped inside, walking over to the living room. I shut and locked the door, walking over to sit in one of the plush armchairs next to the couch.

"That's not good." I noted, and Peter shifted uncomfortably. 

"Did you tell her I was Black Cat?" I asked, blanching, and Peter frantically shook his head. 

"I told her I knew the Black Cat in a poor attempt to placate her." Peter reasoned, sitting down on my couch so forcefully he pushed it back a few feet. Dropping his head into his hands Peter groaned, muttering to himself.

"So," I started, and Peter looked up. "Start from the beginning. How'd she find out.

"After we got back from the avengers base I went inside and found a paper bag on my bed. There was a note on it from Mr Stark and I checked to make sure May wasn't home. I didn't think she was, but maybe she was napping, cause I tried the suit on and when I pulled the mask off May saw."

"What the fu-!" May yelled.

"May?!?" Peter exclaimed, spinning around and holding his hand up. "Wait wait wait its not what you think!" He yelped.

"Peter Benjamin Parker what the hell is going on here?" May yelled, and Peter opend his moth to say something but she cut him off. "You know what. I don't want to hear it." she said, before breaking down and crying, wiping tears from her eyes.

"May... I'm sorry" Peter attempted, but she shook her head.

"I thought we could trust each other! I- I can't ask you to stop being who you are, so all I'm going to ask of you is that you stay safe, and be back by at least ten thirty unless you let me know before hand." May sniffed, and Peter nodded.

"Okay... I'm really sorry May, I wanted to tell you, but I wasn't sure how you'd react..." Peter said, hugging his auny.

"Its okay. Im just worried, y'know?" she said, and Peter nodded.

"Yeah. Cat told me that too." Peter said, and May looked over at him, confused.

"Cat?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. The Black Cat. She helped me out with a few crime fighting gigs." Peter said, and May nodded slowly.

"Okay, just please be careful. Oh yeah, and Peter, you're grounded for two weeks."

"What?! But Halloween!!"

"Fine, I'll make an exception for Halloween, but no crime fighting. You can still go out on patrol but that's it. No after school hangouts and from now on you tell me when you're off to go be Spider-Man." May said, hands on her hips and Peter nodded.

"Wait, Gwen lives in the same building, so can I hang out with her?"

"I'm assuming she said yes?" I asked, once Peter was done with his story, and Peter nodded.

"If I want to hang out with friends it has to be here." Peter said sullenly, and I nodded.

"Seems fair. So, once your one week is up what're you gonna do?" I asked, and Peter shrugged. It'll be Halloween right?" 

"Wanna go trick or treating?

000

An empty white screen. Captain America enters frame in his uniform.

Steve: Hi. I'm Captain America. Here to talk to you about one of the most valuable traits a soldier or student can have. Patience. Sometimes patience is the key to victory. Sometimes it leads to very little. It seems like it's not worth it. And you wonder why you waited so long for something so disappointing.

[He uncomfortably glares at someone off-screen.]

Steve: How many more of these?

[Cut to black.]