The Reichenbach Fall (Part 1)

Beginne am Anfang

"What will happen?" Mycroft asked.

Vaness sighed, then she told him everything. From Moriarty's break ins, to the trial, the plan to destroy Sherlock's reputation, to the rooftop and Sherlock's plan.

"It will take him two years to dismantle the entirety of Moriarty's web." She told him

Mycroft took everything in. He looked thoughtful for a moment.

"Everything works out well in the end. What's the problem?" He asked.

Vaness looked at him incredulously.

"What's the problem?" She asked in disbelief.

Mycroft finally understood.

"Ah, you'd miss him." He said.

"Not just me." She said.

"I'm afraid there's no way around that." Mycroft said.

Vaness looked angry, she closed her eyes thinking. Finally coming up of something, she faced Mycroft again.

"You could hire assassins, to take care of those that will be targeting us. So when Moriarty kills himself, Sherlock wouldn't have to jump." She said in a hopeful tone.

"And Sherlock will be arrested, trial will go on not only for being a fraud but also for several murders including Moriarty's. And lastly, Moriarty's web will never be dismantled." Mycroft said quietly, like he was afraid it will break Vaness.

Vaness looked down. Staring on the floor. The tears are gathering in her eyes but she refused to let them run down.

"Will you tell John?" Mycroft asked.

"No." Vaness said in a whisper, but Mycroft heard her. "Good things will happen to him in those two years, knowing Sherlock's alive might stop that." She explained.

"You know," Mycroft said, "Everything will have to stay the same, but that doesn't mean you can't give James Moriarty a piece of your mind."

Vaness looked confused, "That could possibly change things."

"Maybe." Mycroft said, "but he is Moriarty, and he already met you. You are already part of his plans."

"He met me, but he didn't know how dangerous I was. I was acting." She replied.

"Then show him how dangerous you are." Mycroft told her.

"He could kill me." She said frowning.

"He already hired an assassin to do so." Mycroft said.

"Why are you telling me this?" She asked.

"Because you already know it. You already plan to do it." Mycroft said knowingly.

"You're right." Vaness sighed.

"You still have a few months left, make the most of it." Mycroft said.

Vaness laughed sarcastically, "Yes, keep telling me my plans."

Silence preceded, Vaness was staring at the floor, and Mycroft just looking blankly at her. Vaness finally composed herself and she stood up.

"I'll go now" she said, Mycroft only nodded. She walked towards the door, then she stopped.

"Will you miss him?" She asked, still facing the door.

Mycroft took a moment to answer, "Yes." He said in a whisper. "Yes I will."

A new newspaper article reads "Top Banker Kidnapped" Outside the banker's house, the rescued man is standing with his arms around his wife and young son and the press film and photograph them while Sherlock, Vaness and John stand uncomfortably nearby.