Chapter Seventeen: Universal Studios

"I still can't believe they got away," Jameson was grumbling. His head was pressed against the window of the bus. Evie was in the aisle seat and Libby was between them.

"I'm telling you, it was probably a mistake," Evie sighed. "You might've had the wrong person."

"Then why'd the guy run?"

"There's this thing called Fight or Flight Reaction," Evie said slowly, as though she were talking to a child.

"Mommy, was it the man?" Libby asked, looking up at her mom.

Evie looked down at her and nodded and winked when Jameson wasn't looking.

Libby's face lit up and she grinned, swinging her legs happily.

The bus pulled up beside the Orlando hotel and the three got off with a few tourists.

***

"Where are you going?"

Nate froze. He turned around slowly and smiled nervously at a pissed off-looking Riley.

"Out."

"Out where? Who was that woman yesterday? Why are you meeting her today?"

"Look, I'll explain everything when I get back," Nate promised. "It's something important."

"We promised to not keep secrets from each other!"

"And I'm promising to answer all your questions when I get home!"

"Just take me with you," Riley begged. "Please."

The man looked to the door, then back to his girlfriend, then sighed. He nodded. "Okay, okay. Come on."

***

Evie stood in line at the entrance of the park with Libby, hand on her shoulder.

"Can we go to Hogwarts?" Libby asked. "Can we get stuff from the gift shops?"

"If we have enough, I'll buy you whatever you want," Evie smiled down at her. "But everything is expensive."

"Why isn't Jameson here? Why did he go to the hotel with us but not come?"

Evie sighed. "He only came down with us so we wouldn't be lonely or get lost. He's working."

"Evie!" someone called out from behind her.

"Your ex? She's your ex?" That sounded like the woman in the van yesterday.

The blonde and her daughter turned and saw Nate hurrying toward them, Riley a few paces behind.

"Nate."

"Mommy, that's the man in your wallet," Libby said.

"Awe," Nate teased, once he reached the duo. "You still have my picture?"

"I keep forgetting to burn it," the woman deadpanned.

"Oh shit uh, Evie. This is Riley," Nate introduced.

"Watch your language! There's kids here!" Evie scolded.

"What language? I said 'Oh'."

"I can't stand you," the woman sighed, then held her hand out to the dark haired woman beside the man. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Riley."

Riley gave the woman's hand a firm shake. "You as well, Evie."

"So you're the girlfriend."

"You're the ex." She took notice of the child present with them. "Who's this?"