I wait for her to reply, my palms starting to get sweaty. I had never tried to label what I had with Kelch now because I was too scared she might reject me. I don't know what I'd do if she ever tells me 'Let's be friends' or 'You're just like a brother to me'

I dreaded those two sentences which is why I stuck to harmless flirting. She clears her throat and looks out the window. "When I was younger, I never really understand why people say you'll be a great star, rather than saying you'll be a great sun. Because I thought the sun was the biggest and brightest star of them all. It was a force to be reckoned with- get too close and you burn, but if you stay close enough they'll make you shine."

She bites her lower lips which were quivering, and I realize while I was worried about what I called her, she was worried about something much bigger.

The sudden change in conversation surprised me as much as it confused me.

"Kelch, what happened today?" I slow down the vehicle to park, but she motions for me to keep driving.

She ignores my question and continues her rant about the stars and sun. "But now, I know why. They are never given the chance to shine during the day and are pushed back into the night. Yet somehow, amidst all the darkness, they still manage to shine in their own way, producing the little lights that they can."

"I always thought I was a sun, but I think I'll have to get used to being a star. I'm not sure if I'd shine, though, " She sniffs and laughs.

"Kelch, " I call her softly. I wanted to park the car and hold her in my arms, but it seems like she didn't want that.

She sniffs and wipes her tears. "I met my birth dad today. Guess who?" She said the last sentence with a sad laugh.

My eyes welled up at the sound of her voice. Although I couldn't see her, I could hear her voice holding so much pain. We were already on the street to the house, so I park the car and wait for her to speak.

"Ashley's dad, " She chokes on the last words, tears shimmering in her eyes.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and give her the only source of comfort I could. A hug. Watching her break down this way was unbearable for me. However, it felt worse, knowing there was nothing I could do to stop her pain.

She clutches onto my arm, her nails digging into my skin, but I didn't mind. I stroke her hair gently as she sobbed louder into my shirt. "And..I.....I want to hate him, but I can't. I know it wasn't his fault because Wendy didn't tell him, but it's not mine either. So, why am I the only one suffering?" She hiccups on her tears, her head bopping with every hiccup.

It breaks me to see her hurting this way. I close my eyes and a tear escapes my eyes. I wipe the rogue tear with the back of my hand, still holding Kelch.

I don't know how long we stayed that way, but I didn't care. I was just grateful to be there for her. I was grateful she opened to me and let me comfort her. It just made me realize that I wanted nothing more than to see her happy.

She pulls away and wipes my soaked shirt with her palm as if that would dry it. "I'm sorry, " She apologizes and stares up at me through her wet, long lashes.

I kiss her eyelid, slightly tasting her tears in the process. "Don't be."

I clasp her face in my hands, examining every inch of her beautiful features. She tries to hide her face from me, but I firm my grip on her chin, making her lock eyes with me, her hazel colored eyes glistening in the dark.

"Why be a sun or a star when you can be Dove Kelch?"

She lets her eyes linger on mine for a bit before she smiles. A genuine smile this time. She leans closer and places a soft kiss on my eyes just like I did with her.