Shady Dealings

"I will kill the mayor." Amalilio was stunned to hear those words from Michael. He put out his cigarette,  opened a window to let out the smoke in the carriage, and looked at Michael again and asked; "Are you serious?" to which Michael slowly nodded, not breaking eye contact. Amalilio's eyes dilated as a the edge of his lips stretched across his face. He grabbed Michael's hands and clasped it tightly between his.

"Excellent! Wonderful!" Amalilio praised him. "Please, tell me your name."

"M-Michael..." he replied, not expecting such a zealous response.

"Michael! I can't thank you enough for this." He said with his Duchenne Smile still lingering. "Now here's the plan," Amalilio let go of Michael's hands and grabbed the collar of his robe to reach for something. As he pulled something from his garb, Michael was caught off guard by a black handle attached to a shiny metal—chrome perhaps—obscured by the fabric. Amalilio noticed Michael's pale expression, and hid it back in his robe with a playful grin on his face.

"You know what this is don't cha?" Amalilio rhetorically asked before he finally revealed the thing, its shiny chrome frame reflecting the suns' beams from the open window, it was a revolver.

Michael slowly took the gun, the heavy iron carrying the weight of a man's life and Eldono in its chambers. He raised the gun in near the window to examine it further, making him fully grasp the unsettling destructive power he wields in his finger tips.

Michael swallowed hard his resolve and said; "For the greater good..."

"I knew I could count on you." He told Michael with a big fat grin on his face, patting him on the back. "Sleep early tonight, I'll send someone to help you out of your cell at dawn, the mayor should still be in his office right above the prison."

"Wait, what if someone hears the gunshots?" Michael asked.

"Time the shot for when the church bell rings, everyone should be asleep before that."

"And my stuff?" He asked again.

"They should also be in his office along with other contraband, help yourself if you want."

"How will I escape? Is there, like, a secrete passage or something?"

Amalilio noticed Michael's anxiousness, he knows he's not the type of person who would take a life so easily, but he knows he can do it, all he needs is a little push.

"Michael," he said softly as he pats Michael's shoulder; "I know I'm placing a heavy burden on you so I understand why you're on edge, but this is for something bigger that only YOU can do... and if you pull this off, I'll never forget what you did.... for the greater good?"

"... For the greater good."

The coach came to a halt as they finally arrived at the town square, where it looked more presentable than the rest of the town, the road was smoother on the way there to say the least, but little effort was being made to stop cracks from appearing on public buildings. Seeing the blatant corruption, Michael hid the gun in the inside pocket of his jacket and walked out of the carriage, determined to serve justice for Eldono and its people.