Wild Goose Chase Pt. 2

Lurking in the shadows, the girl observed the officer's behavior, waiting for an chance strike.

"Come out come out wherever you are," the commander called the girl out; "without a horse you'll get caught sooner or later, and the only one nearby is this donkey right here."

The girl ignored his sweet talk after witnessing his true colors first hand, he could just as well betray her like his comrade. Besides, she knows her plan has a good chance of succeeding,. Not only that, she also wants to get her revenge.

"Hurry up," the commander continued to taunt the damsel; "they might come back any moment now and I won't be able to kill you. They'll have you interrogated, tortured, and executed when they catch you so you might as well surrender your life to me now."

Despite what he said, his intention of taking her life switly and painlessly wasn't set in stone, he wont do it if it he can make a profit from selling her or a promotion or a hefty reward from the lord. Whether he'll kill the girl or not largely depends on which option benefits him the most. After seeing no signs of a response, the official decided to switch tactics.

"It's impressive that you managed to make it this far, finessing your way out of a tight spot." He tried to sweet talk the young maiden. "They might not be very bright, but they were still servicemen handpicked by Lord Amalilio himself! You also amanged to juke me, one of the finest soldiers in Relacio, that alone is a feat worth mentioning."

Still no response from the girl, his flattery wasn't getting him anywhere.

"I heard you had a little help from someone," he added; "of course it doesn't take away from what you've done, but my former comrade didn't mention him fleeing with you, so that must mean he was captured wasn't he?"

Liking where what he said was going, he smirked and continued to pressed further the conversation.

"He's still alive, as of now he's probably being tried by the court. But that won't be the case for long," he added; "his offense will most likely earn him the death sentence, if you give in now both of you will most likely not get as harsh a punishment that you originally would."

Again, she stayed silent and patiently waited for the perfect time to strike.

"Oh well," said the commander keeping his guard up; "I'll just wait for my men to come back."

"You had a chance to make it easier for yourself," he added as a final attempt to lure her out of her hiding place; "I hope you wont regret it"

He pretended to lower his guard a little, tempting the girl to attack him. Intentionally not looking behind him but looking forward, left, and right and carefully listening to the sound of excessive movement in the grass. That way, he can expect where she'll attack and counter it.

Just then, he heard rustling from behind him like he expected, he quickly turned and stepped back to counterattack. But no one was there.

Again he heard rustling and turned around, still no one. The commander was now scared of what the girl was planning. Now he was actually on guard, looking over his shoulder every two seconds to make sure if she was there.

That's when the girl saw her opening. With a hard fruit in her hand, she jumped out of her hiding place on the treetops, landing on the commander and striking his head as hard as she can with the fruit.

He was concussed, his head busted open and covered with blood and debri from the fruit. She took his horse and his sword and took off to Libelco.