3

Sit in the whip and see the stars , show me just who you are .

Onika Tanya Maraj

Queens , New York

September 12

"You wrong Ari." I pointed the curling iron at her before continuing my hair.

"Where you finna go sneak off to?" She asked me, smirking.

"On a date. This boy from school wants to take me out. Who am I to stop him?"

"Oh my God nooo. You can't go out with him. I am trying to hook you up with Bey. So best friends can be dating best friends."

"But I don't like her." I finished my hair finally. I unplugged the curling iron before applying my lip gloss.

"Yes you do, y'all be flirting."

"I promise you she speaks to every female like that."

"Oh you scared 'cause she a hoe? August was a hoe too. You see how that worked out. Nigga can't leave me alone."

"Ariana you bully that man." I smiled in the mirror. If I do say so myself, I look like a portrait.

"I don't bully him! He's just as mean to me as I am to him

"I don't bully him! He's just as mean to me as I am to him."

"No he isn't. That man worships you."

"He does, doesn't he?" She sounded like she was into herself now so I left the bathroom and went to put on my sandals.

Jeremy would be here soon anyway. I meant what I said to Ariana. I don't like Beyoncé or the life that she lives. It's all too much for me. The big ass house, the flashy cars, the drugs! It was a lot and I couldn't get myself caught up in that stuff. Had she had a different attitude and a different life and our paths crossed, maybe it would've worked out.

"Aye! I'm telling Beyoncé we going on a double date tomorrow after you get off work!" Ari yelled, she had my phone in her hand.

I sucked my teeth. "Ariana don't do that. I don't wanna go on a double date with y'all."

"A singular date? That's better? I'm not gon' be able to help you if you go alone."

"No date."

"Oh that ain't gon' happen. 1 or 2?"

I sighed. "2."

"Double date it is."

"Either way it was gonna be double date wasn't it?"

"You know me so well." She tossed my phone. "Your boy's been outside for ten minutes. He's calling you."

"Oh my God." I grabbed my stuff and went outside. Ari stood at the door, waving like she was my mom or something.