Chapter 11: Us Three

The next I wake up, and I find Gaara staring at me.

"You're awake. You're up early."

Gaara smiles at me.

"Were you staring at me the whole night?"

I rub my eyes and sit up on the bed.

"No. I was actually a little busy last night."

Gaara looks away. He seems to have a lot of things on his mind.

"Really? What did you do?"

I stretch a little, waiting for him to talk.

"You know about the monster inside me?"

"Yeah, you told me about him."

What is he getting at?

"Well, to be more specific, his name is Shukaku."

"How do you know that? Did he tell you?"

That's so cool! The monster has a name! Maybe we can all be friends!"

"Well yeah he did... Last night."

"Did you meet him? That's awesome! Can I meet him, too?"

Gaara looks at me, surprised.

"You're not... scared of him?"

Scared?

"Why should I be? I mean, yeah, a lot of people are scared of him, so they're scared of you, too, but I found out that you weren't scary. Couldn't be the same for Mr. Shukaku?"

"Mr. ... Shukaku?"

Gaara looks at me weirdly, and giggles.

"What? Why are you laughing?"

"Actually, the Shukaku told me last night that he'll keep a low profile, because you were a really interesting and extremely strange person."

"I'm strange?"

I never thought I was. Or am I... Or maybe it's because I'm just awesome. Or maybe it's because I'm such a nice person! Hehe.

"I think it's time to start getting ready for school."

"Right! I hope it's going to be a fun day again today."

Gaara and I arrive at our class, and find Yukari waiting for us. I wave at her, and run up to sit next to her. Gaara follows me, and sits next to me.

"Good morning, Yukari!"

"Good morning, Kiu! And... Gaara."

She's still so shy around Gaara. I mean she's originally super shy, but I'm easy to deal with, especially since we're both girls, so it's kind of understandable that she's shy with Gaara, who doesn't really talk much. At least she's not afraid of him like all the other kids. She figured out that he's really a nice person. Gaara looks at her and nods. A little smile appears on his face. He's happy to have another friend. Isn't he just so cute? I want to pinch his cheeks! But I won't do it since we're at school and all...

"Oh yeah, how's your ankle doing, Yukari?"

"It's as good as new. The medics did a really good job, but they were also really impressed with the first aid bandaging you gave me. They couldn't believe it when I told them you were the one who did it."

"Hehe. I just tried my best."

I just wish these talents didn't have to come from dead people... It's like I need to find dead shinobi to become super strong or something. I don't like that...