Chapter 50: Trance

"Are you sure your squad will be able to handle this?"

One of the feudal lord's counsellors asks.

"They do seem... quite young."

Another says. It's understandable that they feel that way. We don't exactly give an impressive first impression. In their eyes we probably just look like a bunch of kids.

"I assure you, my lords, they are one of our most talented teams. They will not disappoint you."

Otokaze-sensei says with confidence.

"This is a mission of utmost importance. Failure is not an option."

Those advisors really don't trust us with this.

After getting briefed about our mission in more detail, Otokaze-sensei started telling us about the strategy we would be following.

"We need at least two of us with the feudal lord and his family at all times. After thinking about it enough, the best option I've come up with is Koji and Maru."

"What? I have to work with him?"

Maru whines. Koji just frowns.

"Despite your constant bickering, you two have the best chemistry in battle. As for Kiu, you will guard the whole area outside. With your many techniques, it shouldn't be difficult for you."

I nod.

"You can count on me. No hostiles will get in the palace under my watch."

"As for me, I will go investigate and hopefully get to the rogues before they try anything."

He then looks at us with some worry in his eyes.

"This is going to be dangerous. If anything happens, blow the whistle immediately and we will all gather to aid one another."

"Same goes for you, sensei."

Koji says. Otokaze-sensei smiles.

"Of course. I believe in you all. Let us start immediately."

After that, we all take our corresponding positions. I make a bunch of shadow clones to cover the area around the feudal lord's palace.

A day goes by without any incidents. Otokaze-sensei hasn't come back yet. I hope he's alright. Alone with my thoughts, I start thinking about Gaara. I wonder how he's doing. I feel like we've been getting kind of distant. The older we get, the more busy we are. I still remember how we used to sleep in the same room. Well... I used to sleep in the same room he stayed in, since he can't exactly sleep. Everything was so innocent back then. It was all so much simpler-

What was that sound? One of my clones picked up some movement. Multiple of my clones are sensing something approaching. No... not something... not even someone... It's multiple shinobi. They're coming from all around. I have to warn the guards.

"The enemy is approaching."

"What...?!"

"Go inside and protect your lord. I'll take care of this situation."

It must've been the firmness of my voice that made them do what I asked of them without questioning me.

After a bit, a kunai was thrown at me. I easily caught it in between my fingers. It's a test shot. They want to see what I'm capable of.

"Just one little girl on her own. Is Sunagakure getting that low on manpower?"

I use the kunai that they threw at me and throw it back in a quick motion that could barely be seen in the direction of the person who talked.

"Ah-!"

I hear a short cry before the person I hit falls in a thud from the tree he was perched on.

"This little girl over here won't hesitate to kill every single one of you."

I say to them in a voice completely devoid of emotion. I get a slight headache as I start absorbing the jutsu of the one I just killed. After a moment of silence, kunai and shuriken and even paper bombs are thrown at me, with the intent to finish me off.

"Hah... pathetic."

I conjure the golden sand to shield me from the attack. The bombs explode, but my barrier remains impenetrable.

"Kill her!"

Seeing that ranged attacks were useless, the rogue shinobi come out of hiding and run at me. Before any of them could do anything I cover all of them in the gold dust, covering their mouth and suffocating them all at once. I left none alive. I should use the whistle to get Otokaze-sensei back here. Right after doing that, a numbing headache invades my mind, my eyes roll back and I start letting out short laughs. This is it! The power is coursing through me! I will not faint this time. I will take it all in. I will get stronger. I will use these scum as stepping stones. Their lives were worthless anyway!

"...Kiu?!"

I hear Koji shouting my name in the distance. I can barely hear him. I feel liquid coming out of my nose. It's probably blood. It doesn't matter. It's all worth it!

"Kiu!"

Otokaze-sensei holds my shoulders and shakes my body, snapping me out of my trance. The state of euphoria leaves me and I'm just left with unbearable pain. I clutch my head in my hands and scream. What's happening? What did I just do? What was I thinking?! What...

Everything goes black. I'm slipping away...

When I open my eyes, I find myself staring at a white ceiling. This is a hospital. I turn my head around to examine my surroundings. We're back in Sunagakure? What happened back there?

I start to slowly recall. I killed about twenty rogue shinobi... and I thought nothing of their lives. That thought scares me. How could I be so cruel? To not feel the slightest shed of remorse while I did the act...

The room door then slides open and in comes Otokaze-sensei.

"Oh! You're awake."

He sounds relieved.

"Don't act so recklessly on your own like that."

He says as he takes a seat on a chair next to my bed. I sit up and start stretching.

"I didn't really have much of a chance to call for help."

"Still... In any case, our mission was a success. You were able to wipe out most of the rogues and I took care of the ones who were hiding. Maru and Koji were a bit disappointed that they didn't get to do anything. Well Koji is mostly shocked more than anything."

"Shocked?"

"After seeing you in that state back there, he hasn't said a word to anyone."

"Was I that bad?"

Otokaze-sensei sighs.

"You were standing on top of the bodies, laughing, your eyes rolled backwards with blood falling down your eyes and nose..."

My eyes widen at what sensei describes.

"What was wrong with me...?"

I mumble to myself. I've been changing in such a weird and alarming way. It's as if... my powers have been getting to my head.